ad: HamHats-1

AnyTone AT-D878UV In-Depth Review – DMR HT with APRS!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jan 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

now Anytone announing that the internal BT module are in production, a good news ! 73

2. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the Alinco has GPS but no APRS. For anyone comparing radios the firmware has just been released to enable APRS on the Alinco. It's considered Digital APRS which is APRS on the DMR side of the radio only and not the analog side. Just did the upgrade and it works great. It does require making a couple of changes in the programming to send out your APRS/GPS location but it wasn't a big deal.

New firmware in the downloads section:
    https://remtronix.com/land-mobile-radio/digital-radios/dj-md5tgp/

Curt

3. IW2BSF

Curt Alinco not have the APRS ? the Anytone 878 have both digital and analogue and the Roaming ... great radio , hi ! 73

4. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any advice on the firmware upgrade? I downloaded it and first tried it with the v1.01 software. Clicking the firmware upgrade button does nothing. After deleting v1.01, cleaning the registry, restarting the computer, installing v1.10, and restarting the computer again, I tried the firmware upgrade button on v1.10. I am given a runtime error and the software shuts down.

5. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the same problem on two different computers. The only way to get the firmware to update is to run the Alinco Utility program by right clicking on the program and select "Run as Administrator". You'll be good to go. Before you upgrade firmware, be sure that you've downloaded the latest utility program and upload your existing setting from your radio onto the computer. You'll notice that the new utility program has the provisions for APRS in it. Once you've uploaded your most current code plug and DMR database from the radio, do the firmware update and I suggest uploading and saving your radio information one more time. Then you are good to go to make the changes to enable APRS. There is a document that lightly touches on the APRS setup. If that's not on the remtronix link above send me an email via my address listed on QRZ and I'll email you the setup document for APRS. At first I thought my APRS was not working but found that the radio will only transmit APRS data if the GPS is locked which makes sense but I didn't consider it at the time.

Curt

6. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. Worked like a charm.

7. AA9ZI

AA9ZI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great review Pascal! Did you find the radio duplex-capable as well? Thank your for your insight.

73 “TJ" AA9ZI

8. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all, hope this question is not so silly...i want to use digital aprs...so i have to 1: Enable gps and 2: to have a zone that has the digital repeaters to use ? I think i am missing something.

9. IW2BSF

The anytone 868 is the OLD version , the added features into the new 878 are:

- Bluetooth module (optional) or buy the new 878 PLUS with BT inside

- Roaming mode like the high cost radios motorola or hytera !

- APRS analogue and digital

- 200.000 database inside ham-radio calls with the new FW 1.13 !

For APRS you enable the GPS module inside and ability the APRS and chose what you whant to use ot the

Digital (like the olf 868) or the Analogue .....

ok? best 73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

10. IW2BSF

NEWS of 5 July of the NEW Anytone 578 mobile dualbander DMR 50 Watt:

AnyTone has released some more information about their new DMR Mobile Radio known as AT-D578UV.

Prices and specifcations will not be available until late July

They will have multiple versions of radios as follows:

a. Tri Band with BlueTooth and GPS with Part FCC Part 15 but not FCC Part 90 available in August.
    b. Dual Band FCC Part 90 available in September. No mention if it will have BlueTooth or GPS
    c. A version with only Bluetooth with no GPS
    d. A version with only GPS but no Bluetooth
    e. A version for recording

The Bluetooth Microphone with display is still in development without a release date.

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

11. W4PHS

W4PHS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently purchased an AnyTone AT-D878uv+. I like the radio, but it's locked up twice. The first time I cleared it by powering off and back on. The second time, it wouldn't power off. I had to remove and reinstall the battery. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm running firmware 1.13.

What is the "Friends List" for? I can't figure out where you use the friends?

There are two channels displayed, one at the top of the screen and one below. The active one has larger characters. I assumed pressing PTT always transmitted on the active one (larger characters) but apparently if it receives a signal on the other (not active) channel, replies automatically go to it. Is there a way to set it to always use the active channel (large characters)?

Phil, W4PHS

IW2BSF likes this.
  12. IW2BSF

hi Phil ,

if you do this continuous freeze and you have the last FW 1.13 you should do a particular procedure that seems to solve everything, you have to look for it in the various anytone groups on facebook, here there is the solution for your "freeze" !

for your other questions ALL are banality that you will discover with time, in the English anytone users guide yes finds little and badly explained, I made a mega guide with almost everything on this radio of over 420 pages and for ham-radio but ONLY in Italian language, sorry!

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

13. KM6WFW

KM6WFW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

anytone 878 I am in need of help. I can see my tx and rx on the pi but l have never heard anyone. am i missing something in the code plugs or setting of the radio?

IW2BSF likes this.
  14. IW2BSF

...... contact you them, they are so good at downloading people who help others, maybe they'll respond to you! good luck, 73

15. IW2BSF

For those who ask me about the NEW Anytone 878 version 2 coming soon:

It is a new version of the 878 with modified hardware currently in the hands of "only" Beta Testers.
    Modified hardware allows analog APRS-RX .... so I guess with internal TNC modem.
    The name of the new device will be AT-D878UV-II but it is not yet available on the market.

Also for the mobile 578 there is a new development:
    As has already been assumed from the beginning in the layout of the cards, AirBand AM RX will be able to control AirBand and also analog APRS RX.
    But even in this case there is still a lot to do until the market.
    The model name is AT-D578 Plus.

Preview here:
    https: //butik.limmared.nu/sv/index.php ...

The NEWs to the new generations of devices can already be seen in the latest firmware and CPS versions.
    For example, in the CPS there is the option to activate AM (nonsense without hardware) or the 8.33 kHz grid which you can choose now, but which only with the Airband makes obvious sense.

73 de IW2BSF - Rudy