Anytone AT-5888UV DTMF problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by SWL_BOSTON, Apr 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. SWL_BOSTON

SWL_BOSTON QRZ Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and joined today to ask this question.

I enjoy this Anytone rig alot, but the DTMF will not bring up Echolink, etc where other rigs will.
    First I thought it was a bad microphone, so I bought a new one, same problem.
    The DTMF tones can be heard while pressing them and as well on a remote receiver.

But they don't seem to be calibrated correctly, because they don't work as they should.

I love the rig but need the DTMF. I wrote to Anytone for a schematic, nothing heard yet (I'm not holding my breath either).

I think now the DTMF generator must be inside the rig, not inside the microphone.

I'd like to simply use a different DTMF microphone that has a tone generator inside it.

But without schematics for the Anytone rig or its microphone, I'm lost.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with this rig.
    And can anyone suggest how I could start figuring out how to transplant another microphone that has a DTMF generator in it?

Any help appreciated, thank you for reading my post.

[Edit: the microphone is Anytone QHM-05]

John
    Boston, MA

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  2. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on your first post to this forum, John, SWL-Boston.

When starting on a new endevour, first impressions are very important. So, when John, SWL-Boston, comes along asking about ways to fix his DTMF problems on his cheap Chinese radio, one has to take a moment and wonder if John, SWL-Boston, actually has the proper license or certificate to transmit on amateur radio frequencies, especially since he wants to perform control functions via DTMF on other people's repeaters.

And, having to wonder why John, SWL-Boston didn't want to grace this forum with his authorized callsign could make some folks less inclined to give John, SWL-Boston any help in this matter.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

regards, Roy

3. KB6LED

KB6LED Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL, Same issue here, I purchased a 5888UV III and the DTMF tones wont get decoded by any of my repeaters or nodes. I emailed Antytone
    asking how to get into the service menu so I could adjust the deviation, but ZERO reply.

Bob
    KB6LED

4. SWL_BOSTON

SWL_BOSTON QRZ Member

Hello Roy,
    John appreciates your reply.
    John mentioned in his post that he already has a transceiver with functional DTMF that he uses regularly.
    John, whether a ham or not, is certainly capable of acquiring or sometimes even building transmitters operable on the ham bands (or any other bands, for that matter).
    John has been a victim of identity theft before, and decided at that time to be much more circuitous about revealing his personal information online.
    John recognizes the scope and details of QRZ's membership policies and has conducted himself accordingly.
    John agrees with you that first impressions are important.
    John thanks you again.
    John

5. SWL_BOSTON

SWL_BOSTON QRZ Member

Bob, sorry you had the same problem, but glad to know I'm not the only one!
    Thanks.
    And if I find a solution, I'll post it here.
    John
    p.s. On Anytone's tech web site, there's no data at all on the 5888UV dual or tri-band or any other mobile for that matter. Only info on four of their handhelds. They've got a long way to go.

6. KB6LED

Copy that John, a friend of mine just purchased the same radio but has yet to hook it up, I asked him to check the DTMF on his I will report back.
    Your post saved me from buying a new microphone I thought the same thing you did that it might be a mic issue. I just resent my original email to Anytone support again, hopefully squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Bob

7. SWL_BOSTON

SWL_BOSTON QRZ Member

OK Bob,
    Looking forward to that update.
    As a workaround, I'm going to set up an old laptop with DTMF tone generator software and use it to try to play proper tones into the Anytone's microphone during transmit, maybe that will work. If it does, I'll post it here. (Jim Rockford style, if you get the reference!)
    John

8. KB6LED

I spoke with my friend last night and it sounds like his DTMF works fine on his radio, he said his Allstar node was decoding his tones. I have sent a half a dozen emails to Anytone support but no reply, there customer support is non existent. If I find out anything else I will post back here.

Bob

9. SWL_BOSTON

SWL_BOSTON QRZ Member

Update: Just checking in, but nothing to report. The problem is "kinda" on the back burner because I just use my Yaesu FT-897 for DTMF on 2 meters. But still very interested in finding/developing a way. Maybe an inline DTMF encoder drawing power from the radio (or a battery/ps), placed between the radio and the microphone.

This Anytone radio is really awesome, not cheap but 'affordable', built like a tank and full of useful functionality and great RF power output options, it will even crossband repeat...I'm not yet giving up on adding a DTMF solution for this particular problem.
    End of update.
    p.s. I have also thought of just sending DTMF tones from an audio generator, just holding it close to the microphone during transmit. No progress there yet, but conceptually, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Last edited: May 12, 2021