Anyone Watching “The Spy” on Netflix?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4GKS, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

It also took years before the unleaded fuel was not longer usable and they had to refine more.

K4AGO likes this.
  2. N5OLA

N5OLA Ham Member QRZ Page

Saw episode 1 last night. Lots of code during the opening credits. Spy is given a Morse code exam and the examiner praises him for reaching 45 wpm -- on a straight key -- when he's only doing about 15 wpm of "fake Morse". As others have said, it's just entertainment.

KM6CND and K3XR like this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this, always looking for a new Netflix series to binge-watch.

You might enjoy reading this document The Eli Cohen Files By Wesley Britton. It goes into great length about his clandestine radio operations, and attributes a kind of obsessive overuse of it as a key reason he was eventually tracked down and caught. Caution though - this report probably contains "spoilers" that might take away some dramatic effects of watching the series.

Nothing too specific on the antenna though except in these excerpts,

Page 14, "Next, the court asked Cohen to discuss his connections with Lieutenant Ma'azi Zaher a-Din. “In June, 1962,” Elie began, “I went to Beirut, and from there, via Europe, to Israel. I informed the Center that I had managed to make friends with an officer by the name of Ma'azi Zaher a-Din. They ordered me to tighten my contacts with him . . . When he was appointed area commander of Badlev, I went to visit him, and when he came to Damascus he used to stay with me. Once he noticed an unusual radio antenna at my place. I explained to him that it was an antenna enabling me to pick up Buenos Aires. He nodded and didn’t say a word.”

Page 22 - 9--Antenna. According to Fareed, “Once a neighbor, very early in the morning, went up to the roof of the building where he used to live to hang some wet washed clothes and he saw Kamel (an undercover alias of Cohen) laying on the floor and doing something with an electronic device. When he was asked what was he doing he was very upset and he claimed he was checking the antenna of his radio to hear Argentina news. The neighbor did not believe him and he told the story to Waheed Kutub who calmed him.”

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Was this the one where Churchill set up spies
    If so I saw a women holding up long wire to set it up.

5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw a documentary that said his electric shaver cord was an antenna. He would get in at the same time every time he transmitted and sometimes stayed on for over an hour. This is the reason he was caught.

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Page 7, The Capture, from The Eli Cohen Files has an incredible account, "...Cohen’s broadcasts were so long and frequent that embassies nearby complained to the Syrians that their own radio transmissions were encountering interference." :eek:

8. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

It's only "annoying" to nit-picking hams and, perhaps, to a handful of viewers who know how radio communications actually work.

The vast majority of viewers don't even notice.

Doctors and other health professionals often are "annoyed" by they way medical procedures are presented.

Anyone who knows anything is aware that you don't just get up and continue fighting when someone clocks you upside the head with a beer bottle hard enough to shatter the glass.

As I posted:

There's LOTS of things on TV (and in the movies) that aren't true-to-life ... just presented to provide the IMPRESSION of what's intended.

;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed, try solving a major crime in an hour.

10. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Worth your time. I finished it last night. No I will not tell you how it ends!