Anyone using Verizon Wireless/Jetpack have any success with Echolink?

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KF7KBN, Apr 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF7KBN

KF7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I moved from Montana to Missouri in 2014. It's unbelievable but out in the middle of absolutely nowhere in north central Montana, we had better internet access than in rural southwest Missouri which has a thousand times more population. We had a radio tower based...wireless internet there and it worked great... Echolink worked on it just fine. Where I now live in Missouri, the choices are HughesNet or if you happen to get a decent 4g signal, you can use a VW Jetpack as a wireless access point. I had the Hughes Net thing... pretty sorry. For 79.00 you get 10 gigabites per month and it doesn't work with Echolink, unless you pay for a static IP...then there is the maximum 10 gigabyte thing. VZW wireless costs a bit more, but now it's unlimited data and the speed is way better. Downside? I cant get ports opened to use EchoLink on the computer in the shack... it works fine using my Android phone, but I cant get it working on the WinXP Pro computer in the shack that is connected through the JetPack for internet... same internet supply source as the Android phone. And same computer that Echolink worked perfectly fine on in Montana.

Anyone have any experience with this? Workarounds? Tips, Tricks

2. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

1. You probably already know this; but its not suggested that a Windows XP machine be hooked up to the Internet
    2. Here's a link to how to enable port forwarding on a Jetpack (Google the model number for other versions) https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-55852/
    You'll need to open and forward these ports on the Jetpack to the local PC's LAN IP address:
    • UDP/5198
    • UDP/5199

KB3VWG

3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for that link! I will have to try that on the Jetpack with my Android tablet. That thing is really handy.