Anyone using linux? Opinions, Win 10 vs linux?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N1OOQ, Jan 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had good luck with Fedora. Been running multiple servers on a single home machine for more than a year now. It works as long as you set it up and then DON'T MESS WITH IT.

As for the desktop, I've found they work best if you DON'T MESS WITH THEM. Download from the default repository and it works. Start making unique configuration changes and things eventually start to fall apart.

I keep it stock and they last the longest. I have a backup strategy that enables me to wipe the hard drive at any time and reload from zero.

When my Win 7 OS's no longer work, Linux will be all I have.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That takes all of the fun out of it. o_O

3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the best way to run Windows is in a virtual machine on an Apple laptop. Running it in a virtual machine on Linux is the second best. But whatever floats your boat.

In my mind Windows has been running on backward compatibility inertia for decades. It was a very long time since Microsoft has been able to honestly claim they had a better operating system. I once thought Microsoft would fade in popularity or have to do a major re-write like Apple did to maintain their market share. Their ability to hang on to their market share for so long has amazed me.

Apple will soon abandon the Intel platform and that might take some steam out of Microsoft and Windows. It's been a selling point for a long time that Intel processors could run Linux, Windows, and macOS natively. That's going to end and it will be interesting what that does to this debate over operating systems. I expect Linux will make a smooth transition to Apple hardware. I don't know what Microsoft will do with Windows. They may be forced onto something that finally breaks the line that connects all the way back to the 8086.

I will say that my last three Intel based MacBooks (my first bought over 10 years ago) have had virtual machines on them for Windows and Linux. I like having options.

4. W5UAA

It's because they got into the federal government first. And since then, the federal government has relied on them for interoperability (along with nearly all federal employees' inability to learn something else to keep track of all their beans.) (and I haven't verified this, but probably all 50 states and territories also.)

Edit: @KA9JLM , if you're a tinkerer, yes, it's fun to mess with it. If you just use computers as a tool and rely on it working every time you use it, you're best option is to not tinker with it.

5. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it was because of the desktop. And I think that desktop interface encouraged many more people(and kids) to consider a computer..........and a big demand for programs for regular people.

Which would you prefer, typing an instruction into a command line, or clicking an icon? Even a sequence of clicks is much easier and faster, more responsive.

Old Fashion Symbol technology.

6. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually prefer the command line for certain tasks, even when a desktop is available.

As for speed, it depends. For example, I can hit ctrl-alt-t and type 'vlc' <enter> more quickly that I can click on the program menu, find it and click it.

Running certain tasks--particularly video transcoding--on a system with no desktop can make them run substantially quicker in aggregate. There are simply more resources available to the key functions.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    PU2OZT likes this.
  7. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

If COMAND.COM hadn't been such a crippled imitation of a real shell it's possible that the command line wouldn't be held in such low regard. I recall discovering 4DOS/NDOS a few years before the Bash shell on Slackware and it greatly improved my use of DOS.

I use my share of GUI programs but one thing I like about Gnome is that when the Super key is tapped or the mouse dragged to the hotspot and the overview is displayed is that simply typing the command will bring up choices and as the name is more complete the choices narrow. Whatever icon is the leftmost in the list is the one that will be exec'd when Enter is pressed. It's actually a very clever UI.

8. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

You can make a lot of changes with Linux, and keep it stable if you just watch your step. What I like about Debian is the crazy number of packages available in the repo. Agreed that life is easier if you stick with the default repos. But even then you can pick your desktop, typically the "skin" and other changes. You just need to realize which changes are simple conf edits, or skin changes, and which are icky.

I remember playing with SuSE Linux 15+ years ago, KDE. There was a major KDE version change at one point, somewhat controversial, and I needed to make a whole bunch of tweaks to get it back to where I liked. After a couple years of that, I realized I didn't want to fight against my desktop, so I took a path of lesser resistance: MATE. The beauty is that you can generally find some desktop that suits your style, and then make only minimal tweaks to get it spot on.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

N0NB likes this.
  9. W5UAA

That's like saying: you can set up a self-sustaining colony on Mars... if you just watch your step.

Even with windows, one of my biggest time wasters in the class room was trying to keep the classroom computers in some sort of usable state after all the students continued to make "simple" desktop appearance changes.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to tinker. I have about 10 computers that I use, Each has its own job.

It does suck flip flopping to a different OS for the job in hand. :( Remembering the proper commands can get confusing. :confused:

My wife is good about letting me play with all of my toys. :) She only complains about the high electric bill.