Anyone using Bitx for digital, FT8, etc.?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by K3RW, May 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thinking about getting the uBitx kit for several different bands, but also to do digital--FT8.

Haven't seen much on people doing that with the uBitx, and haven't seen anyone doing that without some mods on the Bitx40 (seems to depend on the model).

Wasn't sure how I would keep the clock synced, perhaps with a GPS input. Mainly looking for a potentially decent SOTA rig that I could SSB and CW, and go FT8 and PSK occasionally when it gets tougher to work in the mountains.

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

The ubitx is a great low cost choice for sure. The software options are great and with the CEC software setup as a FT-817 you can cat everything in HRD or the wspr software. You will not need to mod the ubitx for anything, but I suggest turning the drive inside the ubitx down so that you peak 5w or you can really over do it and cause some nasty rf. The IRF 510's are not the greatest or freq vs power and will not have a lot of power on 20-10m. The only real issue I and others have had is the filtering on the bitx radios will limit your power output 600-1500hz or so is the best area to op in.
    I have some posts on my site about digital with the bitx40 which I later applied to my Ubitx with much success.

best of luck and join the bitx20 groups.io group they are a great group and can help you along the way.
    David
    http://kit-projects.com/Digital modes with A Bitx40.htm

K3RW likes this.
  3. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks so much. I ordered the mBitx yesterday.

With FT8, syncing the clock may be a bit of a struggle where I'm out of cell phone range. I don't know if people have used GPS receivers to set the clock sync, or whatnot. Any ideas on that part?

-Or- one could possibly use a GPS dongle and sync an Android tablet clock that way, if that's the interface for FT8?

Wouldn't be an issue for PSK, just primarily for FT8 that I would expect some difficulty maintaining a good clock sync.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  4. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

For ft8 a fairly inexpensive Arduino with a GPS receiver and an RTC real time clock you could probably set up the whole kit and caboodle for about 40 bucks I know qrp labs sells a kit for a GPS controlled clock you could use it to set your computer.
    You could also pick up an old handheld GPS device as long as it displays time and can sync with satellites you can use that time to set your computer.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.