ANYONE USING A RM ITALY HLA305 HF Linear Amplifiers HLA-305V ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KH6CT, Nov 30, 2019 at 6:15 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KH6CT

KH6CT Ham Member QRZ Page

If anyone is using the RM Italy amp, could you please recommend a reasonably priced power supply that would work well with it. And, any comments on the amp itself would also be appreciated.

Best 73 and Aloha.... Steve KH6CT

2. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not have experience with this amp. E-ham has only 3 reviews on it and they are all positive. It requires a 45 amp 12VDC power supply. I would recommend the 50 amp Astron which is available from the usual ham radio stores for $199. Most solid state amplifiers are very sensitive to high SWR and all of the "name brand" solid state amps have built in protection circuits to either reduce power or shut down to avoid damage in high SWR conditions. I am not sure this amp has that protection and unless I were certain it did I wouldn't spend the money for one.

Another thing to consider is cost . The amp sells for just under $700 and the needed power supply is right at $200...so you will have invested $900 in an amp which is really only good with a very low power transceiver. If someday you decide you want a transceiver with 100 watts output this amp will not be of any use.

If it were me, for the same $$ or less I would buy a tube amp capable of 600 watts out. You can always drive it with your current rig and get the same output as the RM HLA 305 produces. Tube amps are generally much more tolerant of high SWR conditions and if you ever upgrade your transceiver to a 100 radio a tube amp capable of higher output than the one you are considering would fit right in. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 7:53 PM
  3. N7UJU

N7UJU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using a 50A switcher from ebay (S-700-12) with mine. The unit is electrically quiet, but audibly noisy. I'm sure the fan can be quieted, I just haven't had the time and it's off when I'm not using it.
    I'm happy with the 305, it takes about 7 - 8 watts to get ~300 out on 80 - 20 and goes down to a little over 100 on 10. Also the automatic band switching works as advertised, and it doesn't tolerate much more then 3:1 at any power level; it has ample circuit protection and filtering.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of money for such modest power.

I agree with Jerry above...a tube amp that costs the same or less and easily runs 600W output and has a built-in power supply, and will not shut down or reduce power when faced with a 3:1 SWR load is a better deal; however if you have only a QRP rig that produces 5W PEP output or something, then a higher-gain solid state amp is more appropriate.

For a 500W SS amp, I'd choose the Elecraft KPA500. It's pretty small, very quiet, has a built-in AC power supply, and runs 500W output on 160 through 6 meters. It does cost about double the KLA+power supply combo, but is a really good amplifier with excellent "American" tech support and service.

5. N2ZD

N2ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

The amp works great, find a used one that has the cooling fans on it and wasn’t abused. I got one with a Ten Tec I bought and the filtered outputs did what they needed to do and if you run it conservatively, it will run clean and last a long time.