Anyone use VARA HF while RV portable?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by AA5ET, Sep 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE2SD

KE2SD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have been a Winlink user for years, from out at sea to at home. Just retired and plan on using it to stay in touch while camping out west. Just started with Vara HF and FM. Lots of fun getting it all setup.In my opinion its a fun and great way to stay in touch while out of cell service range. Another option is APRS via HF, and does not require connecting to a Winlink RMS. I have had good success getting relayed on hf into the aprs system and APRS-FI on Google maps, plus you can add a short text message IE: all is well. For hiking or biking away from my rv and hf rig I will be using a Garmin inreach while out of cell range. Have fun.

AA5ET likes this.
  2. M6IJU

M6IJU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I use it from the Land Rover on 20m with an MFJ1979 antenna. Works great.

AA5ET likes this.
  3. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

Had one problem with it this weekend while camped in the mountains between Cuba and Coyote, New Mexico. Was able to send out some emails, then afterwards a popup came up on RMS Express asking something I don't remember, but it sounded pretty benign and I clicked yes. Didn't work after that - I tried connecting to several stations without a response. It was putting out power and modulating something (could see it in the power meter), but no connections. It had to be the software because I was able to have QSO's via PSK31 using the same equipment.

Lesson learned: never agree to any changes while not connected to the internet. I don't know if it will fix itself through one of the frequent updates that pops up, or if I'll have to reload the program.

4. KU5MC

KU5MC Ham Member QRZ Page

What a load of horsecrap! Make a statement... then just leave it. As was mentioned previously, good thing they don't drive Ford trucks... hopefully they don't wear Levi's... Did a search on your exact "phrase", please provide me an instance of "Winlink" in the top results (below).

The question revolved around the usage of Winlink/VARA HF. Always got to have the resident grumpus check in...

Regardless, Winlink is a vital communications (EMCOMM) program. Can you say American Red Cross? We use it all the time, actually we have monthly "Wagon Wheel" drills using Winlink (FM, HF, P2P on all 3 - HF, UHF, VHF), monthly until winter sets in, it is Minnesota.

Thanks for letting me rant.

PS, in using Winlink/VARA for quite some time, we have yet to run into any cartel members...

Attached Files:

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

https://www.rrmediagroup.com/News/NewsDetails/NewsID/17667

In my personal conversations with FBI and FCC officials, they admit they also are unable to readily decode these types of transmissions,” Rappaport said. “In my discussions with vendors of amateur radio equipment, they tell me that they are concerned about purchases of amateur radio equipment by criminal cartels, and that they believe it is happening daily.”

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    N3AWS likes this.
  6. KU5MC

KU5MC Ham Member QRZ Page

And the same can be said for any other entity that dabbles in any nefarious activity. They will use whatever they can. By the way, get rid of your radio equipment also. Winlink runs on RF.

AA5ET and KA0HCP like this.
  7. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes...but there are lots of free ways to encrypt emails and files that don't involve Winlink. It would be trivial to encrypt a file and send it via straight packet or PSK; they'd only need their own gateways or store and forward stations to match Winlink.

So, would you not use any ham equipment because the bad guys use it?

N3AWS and AA5ET like this.