Anyone use a Packtenna?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W7LZN, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

VVM: Thanks for the info - perhaps I will build one as well. Ihave not checked the price of the laundry winder for a couple of years!

Roger KK6IVD

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've just finished constructing a laundry winder dipole and tested and fine tuned it for 40/20M. I'm hoping that it outperforms my current portable antenna....a Yaesu ATAS-25. The ATAS-25 is supper compact...easily back packable and receives rather well in the 4 times I've camped with it. However as a transmitter it does not have very good record to date. I have not completed a single successful QSO with it to date. I can hear others clearly, but only a few have heard me...those that did were unable to get good copy. I suspect it requires more radials. But setting it up and tuning for a specific band is quite simple.

The packable dipole worked well from my backyard. The next test will be portable. I hope to test it this week and then employ it from a State Park on field day.

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a kid learning radio, 50 Bucks may have been Harder to get than diamonds. I HAD to make my own stuff from scrap or handouts from older hams.
    BUT, the learning experience was PRICELESS.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The portable dipole blew the socks off of the ATAS-25. Employed it twice...FD and a recent camping trip. No comparison! The smaller an antenna gets the closer to a dummy load you have.

5. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have made a few fan dipoles w light gauge wire both with and without a 1:1- in one case just soldering everything direct only 1 connector for radio.
    In both cases I was able to get the 20m and 40m ele to be flat and worked great.
    Super easy to make- cut them long though- mine always ended up longer.

6. KK6WPX

KK6WPX Ham Member QRZ Page