ad: QSKLLC-1

Anyone use a Packtenna?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W7LZN, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W7LZN

W7LZN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all!
    Looking for another antenna option. Does anyone currently use a Packtenna? Or have experience with/opinions about the Packtenna?

Brad
    W7LZN

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KG7VLX

KG7VLX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using their random wire and mast and have been 100% pleased. They were easy to deal with and prompt in shipping.

Chris
    KG7VLX

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I see the full kit is $270 USD. While this may be quite useful for folks hiking to an area above the treeline, I also see many other alternatives at a lower cost/less weight.

The QRPGuys make a nice EFHW tuner (http://qrpguys.apps-1and1.com/end-fed-half-wave-sota-antenna-tuner) for $25 USD that includes the wind-it-yourself BALUN. I had zero trouble assembling the kit with the very well written directions. I've found it works well with both my MFJ-9200 and HB-1B radios. I have recently picked up a KX-2 and thie QRPGuys tuner should be part of my kit as I learned on my recent mini-dDXpedition to the Republic of Texas. Use of a support for one end of the ant wire is required, I use local trees.

The Pacific Antennas SOTA tuner (exactly the same circuit as the QRPGuys) at $40 USD has a nice metal case, and works just the same. This uses point to point wiring, unlike the circuit board in the QRPGuys product, so some care should be exercised in building. I used this with both of my backpacking rigs with great success. Pacific Antennas offers other tuners that provide the QRP operator more choices. All kits. All reasonably priced. This also requires using local trees for ant support....

For the operator with little time and more money for the hobby than I - the Packtenna looks to be a well made product that offers a lot for the op on the go.

Best of luck to the OP in antenna choices.

K4JGA, OH2FFY and KU4X like this.
  5. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed 100% - this is an area that Hams can save a lot of money and DIY instead.
    This 250 dollar kit has perhaps less than 50 dollars worth of parts.
    Save your money and build it yourself + resist solving problems through buying more stuff.

gregW:) OH2FFY

K8AI likes this.
  6. W7LZN

W7LZN Ham Member QRZ Page

I really appreciate all of the input. I am definitely open to building it myself, just have to make some time for research.

Brad
    W7LZN

7. W8JAW

W8JAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the super antenna. Its spendy, but works extremely well.

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When camping with QRP I made my own light weight dipoles and use RG58 coax feedline. I know what the conditions are like and just take a couple of single band rigs.

If you can't make a wire dipole :eek: ...what can I say , I try to be a gentleman about it.
    Hint; it's no secret L=468/F

N7OW, K8AI and K4JGA like this.
  9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

cost of materials for portable dipole antennas for camping.
    50' RG58 coax with Male UHF connectors on $25.-
    6pack of ceramic insulators $5-
    fancy center insulator with a UHF Female coax connector $20.-
    wire from scrap collection in garage or basement Free.
    50 Bucks and a lot less if you solder your own connectors on. More like 30 bucks.

K8AI likes this.
  10. KZ8O

KZ8O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both a packtenna and a portable dipole. Depends on what I'm doing as to which I use: a short duration operation (bicycle in area without trees for instance) - packetenna, camping - will tend to use the dipole.