Anyone tried this new MFJ-566M key?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AB7RU, Sep 30, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AB7RU

AB7RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I stumbled across this while pawing around on MFJ's site. Made the mistake of clicking "what's new" and came across this new key they have now, that is on some sort of metal base, the MFJ-566M.

It actually looks half way decent, although I can't tell if the key is metal? I guess it is, although I suppose it could be plastic. It states that it uses metal ball bearings though. Here is a pic of it from their site:

[​IMG]

Was just wondering if anyone had tried it and what you thought. Only $29.95!
    Mike AB7RU

2. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That looks an awful lot like the 3D-printed keys that used to be for sale on e-Bay. Maybe he is only making them for MFJ now? If it's the same one it has the rough finish of a low-quality 3D printer but I have heard that they are good keys- they have a decent feel for the price point. I would love to see the same kind of key with a milled body. Even if it doubled the price it would still be a great addition to the market.

3. AB7RU

AB7RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you are correct, NG9F, I did a quick web search and found what looks to be that same key design being made by CW Morse company.
    In a lot of different colors. Same price as MFJ plus free shpg too, may have to try one!
    73's Mike AB7RU

4. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

My god, could MFJ print a crappier sticker to slap on the base? And how about adhering it to the awful looking base a little straighter? I have heard nice things about the 3D printed keys, but MFJ is, once again, totally MFJ'ing this. Too bad.

5. NG9F

Yep, those are the ones. I see now they have a nice base. Please let us know if you get one.

6. NG9F

The least they could do is make it $3 cheaper since it's an "MFJ" key!!! LOL

I bad-mouth MFJ a lot, and rightly so as I have been suckered in by problematic gear from them in the past. But I also have to admit that my 811H is a good unit so far.

AB7RU likes this.
  7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks pretty sturdy to me, but I have not had a chance to see a real one up close, or use one.

AB7RU likes this.
  8. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't store them in a hot car, mine melted.

9. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got one. The part that the screw threads into to hold the key to the base could be a little beefier. Mine broke after getting knocked off my desk on accident. A bit of superglue fixed it right up though. That said, I like it. It has a smoother "action" (not sure if that is the right term) than the key that came with my MFJ practice oscillator. Mine came from CW Morse but is identical to the one MFJ sells.

10. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got one for use at the beach, where I might not want to take an expensive key. I ordered the one with the aluminum base, from CW Morse.

It is functional, but there is so much "give" in the plastic parts it feels almost like the contacts are mounted in rubber, compared to my other straight keys. It is not a N3ZN or a Bunnell.

For under $30, it isn't bad. And I figure if I drop it in the sand, it will probably clean up by shaking it. ;)