Anyone successfully installed AllStarLink on a Raspberry Pi 4?

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by AA5JC, May 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AA5JC

AA5JC Ham Member QRZ Page

Please visit my original post on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AllStarlink/comments/gt6u1x/anyone_successfully_installed_allstarlink_on_a/

While I am still learning (who isn't?), I have previously created AllStar nodes on Raspberry Pi 2's and 3's. However, for my current project I want to create an AllStar <-> analog <-> DMR bridge on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Why? Raspberry Pi 3's don't seem to have enough processor to handle running AllStarLink, analog_bridge, MMDVM_bridge, the MD380 emulator, and Monstar all at once. I presume this is true because the AllStar node works perfectly fine... until I enable the other services. After that the Pi just can't keep up - the audio on AllStar (and on DMR) stutters terribly.

So I thought why not try the Pi 4.

The problem I'm running into is when I install allstarlink, at the end of the install process it returns the following message:

Errors were encountered while processing:
    asl-dahdi-linux-dkms
    allstarlink
    asl-dahdi-linux-tools

The Pi 4 I'm using has kernel version 4.19.118-v71+.

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

2. K5DVT

K5DVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Most people use pre-made images such as ASL or HamVoip, I'm just curious as to why you are installing from source?

A lot of bridges are on nodes that are "in the cloud" and processing power isn't as big of deal... but Yes I have installed and currently running ASL on a Pi 4.(But not as a bridge) I had a bridge set up a LONG time ago but have since turned it off (not enough DMR traffic and large confusion in the user base.) I don't believe I had all those packages installed, but MMDVM_Bridge was one of them. A big thing on the 3+ I experienced was making sure that you have a really good heat sink and fan. So it's possible that the added power from the 4 might be able to given enough horsepower to actually run all those bridge components. Yeah this reply isn't all that informative but I recommend you go make a post on the AllStarLink community forums where a lot of questions have already been answered from hardware to software, mostly from people trying to do the same thing.

3. AA5JC

AA5JC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not installing from source code. I'm installing it manually instead of using an image.

Why aren't I using an image? That's easy: the published images are not currently compatible with RPi 4. When loaded onto a card, it simply won't boot up.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K5DVT

K5DVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry Josh that's what I meant. I show know better than to think while half asleep :).

Yeah the Hamvoip image works on a RPi4, as KA9JLM said. That's what I've been using and it's just as stable as Hamvoip on a RPi3

6. KA9JLM

If I was going to use a RPi4, I would get the metal case that is used as a big heat sink.

They do get very warm and you need all of the cooling that you can get.

7. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I found the ASL image wouldn't even boot on my Pi 4 so I'm now learning Allstar using the hamvoip image. It seems to be quite actively developed

KA9JLM likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

The boot loader was changed, And now allows you to boot from a thumb drive, With no need to fiddle with the Micro SD card. :)

9. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that USB boot capability was only on a beta version of Raspbian release a few weeks ago. In fact, that capability was overwritten with the release of Raspbery Pi OS a couple of weeks back.

The ASL image is dated late 2018, well before the Pi 4 was released so I think it simply cannot be used in the Pi 4.

10. KA9JLM

As far as I know, The change was made for the Boot Loader for the RPi4. That is why it may not boot using a RPi3 image.

The RPi4 should boot from USB to any flavor that you desire. Including Windows :eek:. The OS image needs to be made for it.

This was done on the RPi3 also, But you have to Flash a new bootloader before it will work. The 4 has enough memory to get it done.

As normal. It was try at your own risk for the RPi3. :D Messing with the boot loader can make a brick. Use a UPS if you ever try it. ;)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020