ad: ARR

Anyone still running large HF multi-band quad antennas?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W7UUU, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I remember how Big HF Quads were all the rage in the late 1970s and into the 80s... had a local friend with a giant quad up 75 feet or so, and what a mess it became one winter in a really bad ice storm.

I can't think of the last time I saw one "out in the wild" - not that Yagi beams are on every block either - but I really would have to go back in memory to the last Amateur HF Quad (not a CB quad rotting on a mast on a farm - there are a few of those around, or a handful of VHF mini-quads I've seen over the years)

Does anyone here actually run a multi-band HF quad antenna these days? Do any manufacturers even still sell them?

Just a curiosity for the sake of discussion...

Dave
    W7UUU

KA0HCP and NH7RO like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

NL7F has a wee beasty.....40-10.

NH7RO likes this.
  3. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I dream of giant 6-element quads in my sleep; does that count?

4. AC6LA

AC6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

Terry Lower, N8QS, was one of the main AutoEZ beta testers and used that program extensively to design his baby. He's also done designs for several other folks. Super nice guy.

Dan, AC6LA
    https://ac6la.com

N3AWS, N0TZU, N0YPD and 3 others like this.
  5. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Holy mackerel Andy.....:eek:

NH7RO likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The graduation ceremonies here at Cal State Northridge are held in the quad. I've been there lots of times.

Damned thing won't load up, though. Probably too much grass, not enough wire.

WA8FOZ and NH7RO like this.
  7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really huge but I use a 5 band lighting bolt quad fo several years now.
    A friend had the 4 element version and another friend had a special built 6 element version. That was big!

NH7RO likes this.
  8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you know, the kids today...

NH7RO likes this.
  9. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Stanford also has a huge quad but for some reason it is a single element and horizontally ground-mounted!

Nonetheless, they have entitled their yearbook The Stanford Quad since the 1890s...:confused: Pre-Marconi!

10. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

N8QS quad is up there in the snow & ice. Interesting, we are probably going to move to near Mackinac MI & finally have a few acres. I have also been lusting for a quad. The time might be right. I'll have to check with him about he makes it durable for those Michigan winters. Noting Southern MI might quite different than Northern MI.

NH7RO likes this.