Anyone Selling Cobweb Antennas?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WA3MOJ, Sep 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

mfj 269 C

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sandpiper Aerials in the UK might still be selling them but for what one would cost from over there you could build about ten of them here. They're really simple to build and even the 1:4 step-up balun is a cinch---just follow the excellent tutorial on G3TXQ's website. FWIW, I'd eliminate both 10 & 12 meters if I was building another---those bands are all too quiet these days for my tastes.

As far as ham gear being in a tight market---I went up to HRO in Plano today just to take a look at new gear and see the store---all the guys were busy taking orders over the phone and selling stuff over the counter, too. I remarked that that was good for them to be so busy! One fellow old-timer walked out with a 14AVQ under his arm so the rumors of ham radio being already dead are a bit premature, I think:)

If you decide to build a cobweb there are a few threads here by myself as well as KC8VWM and others so I suggest a QRZ search for starters.

73, Jeff

K9ASE likes this.
  3. WA3MOJ

WA3MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K3LI-
    Is your the low power or higher power model?
    Did you use their MFJ Balun or upgrade it?

4. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the MFJ 1835 and just installed the high power Unun with it (it uses a 4:1 Unun) just yesterday. I have been putting about 500W into it so far with good results. You can buy another upgrade to it that lets you do 30 and 40 meters that consist of longer spreaders.
    It is no hex beam but it works fairly well if you have space restrictions.

5. WA3MOJ

WA3MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you use the higher power MFJ Unun, or another brand?

6. KR6AUL

I used the MFJ Unun. Works Good so far.

7. K3LI

High power, Just use the MFJ but sealed the box

8. K3LI

The price for the ones I saw coming out of the UK were pretty high for what a cobweb is. Cant remember but some thing like 389 USD or close to it.

9. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

4:1 unun? Are you serious? A single-wire elements type cobweb is really just a set of ordinary dipoles folded into a square---the feed point impedance is around 12 ohms hence the requirement for a 1:4 Guanella balun to transform the impedance to 48-50 ohms.

10. KR6AUL

I am sorry, I meant a 1:4 Unun