Anyone Selling Cobweb Antennas?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WA3MOJ, Sep 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA3MOJ

WA3MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Aside from MFJ, are there any dealers selling HF Cobweb style antennas for 20-10M?

I did a search and came across an overseas website that appeared to have Cobweb antennas,
    but looks like they are no longer producing them. (I never received a return email.)

It's not that I'm not interested in the MFJ 1835 Cobweb antenna, but I'd like to know if anyone has
    experience with any other commercially made Cobweb style antennas currently being made.
    Not interested in
    building one myself.

Thanks in advance.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There used to be some, but maybe no longer.

It might be MFJ or homebrew as the options.

If the MFJ spreaders, center hub and balun are any good it should be a fine antenna. Heck, it's just "wires.":)

3. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The MFJ 1835 works very well. Only real "mod" that should be done is to take the top of the matching box and run a bead of silicone around it and replace to keep water out of it.

Some folks change the wire that comes with it to 22ga flex weave. Under a lot of conditions, the reception is noticeably quieter on the cobweb.
    Mine works very nicely.

4. WA3MOJ

Why do you think that is?

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio's a tough market.

People are cheap, and the market size is small...tough to survive.

IMO nothing wrong with the "cobweb" design, and it's really nothing new. I built interlaced loops antennas back in the 1960s, but there was nothing on the market like that at the time: Maybe a good reason, since it's pretty easy to homebrew one. I used bamboo for spreaders, and they worked really well (strong, light, weatherproof, cheap) but fibreglas is the way to go, today.

6. WA3MOJ

How long have you had yours? Any issues?
    I've read these are a real PITA to tune when first setting up. What was your experience?
    Tnx

7. K3LI

Tuning was not a problem. Make sure its at least 6 feet off the ground when tuning and make sure you have all the in place. If you attempt to tune one at a time before installing the next, when done, the antenna will be way off. There are 2 methods of tuning. One is to loop the wire around the screws in the plastic tie bars and twist the loose end back arround the wire. The other is to go arround the screw and let the end of the wire hang down, then trim the ends of the wire a little at a time to tune. This method I found to be a real pain and very tricky. If you use the first method, just tension the wires fairly tight and the SWR was under 2.0 before fine tuning. Both methods are explained in the manual. Try the first method first.

I have had mine for about 6 months I think. No problems with it, works well and stands up against the winds really well.

8. K3LI

Because they think they need to or they just want to.

9. WA3MOJ

Good advice, thanks.
    What did you use to tune it with?

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page