Anyone seen the 400 watt RCI 10 meter?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KK6REN, Apr 14, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK6REN

KK6REN Ham Member QRZ Page

Saw that Ranger has come out with a 400 watt 10 meter rig! Anyone used one? The thing runs close to $700. Pretty soon every truck driver out there will be running one. Wonder about the DX you could chase with that thing? If the band ever opens up again!

KK6REN

2. AA9G

AA9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Look, I'm not trying to be nasty but do you understand that this is an amateur radio forum and not a CB forum? You 'might' find someone that has used one but as a general rule we don't buy radio's from Ranger, Top Gun, Galaxy and whatever else...that stuff is sub standard crap. For $700 you can buy a rig that runs from 10 down to 160 and has much better EVERYTHING inside it and is a much better value for your money.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is fine if they have a License.

More Power to them.

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Up to 1500W. :)

5. AA9G

AA9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another thought since OP mentioned 10 opening up. We are headed on the downward slide of the solar cycle. Those openings are going to get fewer as we go for the next few years, until we start up towards the next peak. So, honestly, investing $700 in a 10 meter radio right now isn't the best idea.

K0YB likes this.
  6. KK6REN

KK6REN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your input

7. W5BRM

W5BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup i see an exit soon for the op. AA9G gave a civilized friendly reply with no nasty overtones and the op responds with a personal attack with vulgarities. 2 strikes in 1 post. Then repeats it in a followup. Amazing!

As to the radio itself? A lot of truckers will pass on that one. A few owner ops who can modify their trucks electrical system might go for it but the average trucker wont be allowed by his company/employer to mod or install a radio like that. I'm sure it will be a hit with the freebander crowd but not in the amateur community For the above reasons given

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  8. KA9JLM

That was a Direct Blast.

It is time to ask the Gods for Forgiveness.

9. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

So why would someone say that unless they were trying to be glib?

"you do know this is a ham radio forum right?"

I think sarcasm just does not translate well in posts. If someone is really trying to be an a**hole then they need to hang up the mic and never post again. Radio is radio and while we hams sometimes look down our noses at CB'ers we really need to get over it.

WB5MG likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

What is the Model Number ?

Is it all mode ?