Anyone runnning Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla) already?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AB2T, Jul 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone here running Ubuntu 20.10 yet? I'm running 20.10 alpha under the Lubuntu variant. Anyway, are there any changes to keep track of? Right now is a very early point in the release cycle, so I expect a few bugs. Just wondering if other users have noticed anything significant.

I am still running the Canonical Kernel Team PPA on focal, simply because it isn't up to groovy yet.

-----
    Jordan, AB2T

2. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll check it out. I usually don't run Canonical's Ubuntu unless the machine is beyond adequate to handle the behemoth. Because a lot of the machines I deal with are "aged", I tend to use something lighter; Linux Mint xfce, for example. I certainly hope they've fixed some of the issues they had since (what was it, 18.xx?). Unity is gone (thankfully). Although, I think they should have still kept the software repository; it worked fine for me.

73s KC8RLU

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just the name sounds strong and powerful. :cool:

4. KC8RLU

5. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, even Lubuntu runs a little slow on this very old Core2Duo 3 GHz from ten years ago. I should probably go to Mint LXDE but I have too many scripts, crontab, etc set up already. I should get myself a used i3 or something to let Ubuntu really run.

73, Jordan AB2T

6. KC8RLU

Either software is suffering from Moore's Law or the coders aren't writing things efficiently. Less code = less bloat. It's that or older machines truly are tiring out after dealing with Windows for so many operating cycles.

7. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

More programs are being written in high level languages where the running philosophy seems to be that disk space and RAM are cheap and plentiful.

For a Core 2 Duo, a better option might well be Xubuntu with the Xfce desktop which is not nearly as graphics intensive as Gnome but still has some effects for eye candy. I have a pair of Core 2 Duo machines here on the farm and I put SSDs in them last winter which made a noticeable difference. Both are running Debian Buster just fine with Xfce.

8. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran Linux Mint Mate up to 19.3 LTS on a 2010-vintage Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM laptop for several years. Dual-booted with Windows 10. Not my primary rig any more since January of this year. The server in the basement is 2008-vintage tower with Core2 Quad CPU with 8 GB RAM and a dedicated NVIDIA GEForce GTX 460 graphics card running Mint Mate19.3 LTS. I use it for CAD work as well. No games, although it was once dedicated for them (not by me)

Ted, KX4OM

9. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to run the intermediate releases, but since 18.04 I have only run LTS releases.

Whenever you take plunge, build an machine with an AMD processor. I went Ryzen in 2018 and couldn't be happier.

10. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if it's related to Gorilla Glue?

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

NK2U likes this.