ad: Morse-1

Anyone running a pair of Heathkit Twins?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N3AWS, Sep 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The "Gold Dust Twins" wouldn't transceive, though.

A bit of trivia: the nickname "Gold Dust Twins" was inspired by - a brand of washing powder.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N3AWS and N4FZ like this.
  2. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

The pair made a pretty impressive stack of machinery though.

Its true they didn't transceive, but the question was about "twins", not not whether they would "transceive" or not, even though I guess it may have been implied. Did all of heath's twins transceive?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    N3AWS likes this.
  3. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Heathkits transceive? Not sure.

I AM sure that the yaesu twins transceive. I have the interconnect for mine. Rarely used it, though, as I was still fully familiar with separates when that station was my active rig.

N3AWS likes this.
  4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

They do.

Everything I mentioned in my original reply will "transceive". In the case of receiver/transceiver pairs, this feature becomes "receiver controlled transceiver".

I'm running my JST-135/NRD-525 pair as separates. I have the required cable set to enable full transceive operation and am constructing my own CMH-741 (RS-232) board for the transceiver. When that's done I'll cable the serial ports together and play radio that way.

N3AWS and N2EY like this.
  5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

One small addendum to the above:

The HR-1680/HX-1681 will not transcieve - no provisions for driving one's HET and VFO circuits with signal from the other. Nor will the JST-135/NRD-525; with the latter pair, frequency control between the two is done digitally (instead of by analog means, as with everything else I listed).

N3AWS and N2EY like this.
  6. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

What does 'Digital Receiver' mean towards FR-101? Frequency counter and digital readout? Nowadays 'digital' could mean smth different (like SDR) so I'm curious.

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

There were two versions of the FR-101 built:

One used an analog dial readout just like the companion FL-101 transmitter. Is was designated as an "FR-101S". The other offered a digital readout (which was the counter assembly from a YC-601 with extra readout logic for the various SWBC segments). It was designated as the FR-101D. Both models simply showed "FR-101" on their face plates.

I've seen one -101D which apparently used the red LED display from a YC-601B, instead of the original YC-601's green VFD. No idea if this was factory or someone's well-executed refit.

N3AWS and UT7UX like this.
  8. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if these parts are from the receiver I mentioned above, but I was cruising the auction site last night and found a red LED counter unit plus the front panel bezel w/ red filter. It's now inbound. I'll probably install the new unit in my FR-101D (though I'm tempted to convert my -101S to a digital readout). It's also tempting to scrounge a YC-601B, gut it and modify my FL-101 to use the assembly....though the transmitter has an optional speech processor installed and I doubt there's room for the counter.

There were apparently two different runs of the rigs. I've found an example on Universal's site simply labeled "FR-101", one on the 'Net labeled "FR-101S" (analog) and another labeled "FR-101 Digital".

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    N3AWS likes this.
  9. N5EZ

N5EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

How about the MR-1 and MT-1?

N3AWS likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or the RX-1 and TX-1?

N3AWS likes this.