ad: cq2k-1

Anyone know what this noise is?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W9RAC, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. AJ6LB

AJ6LB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT-4 for sure. It doesn’t seem to get much use (probably because FT-8 is “good enough”). I see the WSJT-X default for FT-4 on 40 meters is 7047.5 which is the same as W1AW code practice. Interesting.

K8BZ likes this.
  3. G6BHB

G6BHB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's FT4, normally used for contest work and found on 20 meters 14,080.

4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's good to be able to ID digital modes by sound. Just about all of them have distinct identifiable sounds that can be IDed by ear with very little practice. It's just a guess, but I'd say that lots of hams who never worked any digital modes without the assistance of PC graphic tuning tools never bother to listen to the signal and become familiar with what they sound like. Before waterfall type tuning assistance, a good RTTY op could close his eyes and tune an RTTY signal by ear close enough to decode it.

With the WSJT modes it's like horse shoes or hand grenades; close is close enough and the PC does the decoding of multiple signals without the need to be familiar with what they sound like. Then begins the speculation on what an established but infrequency heard signal actually is.

It's all part of what I enjoy about ham radio. It all doesn't have to be about contesting, DXing or rag chewing. It's fun to find unfamiliar modes being used and figure out what they are and how to use them. Olivia and the assortment of PSK modes were never of great interest to me. But I couldn't stand not having the capability to use them.

It might come as a surprise to some, but Pactor is still in use for keyboard to keyboard QSOs by a handful of hams in AZ, CO and CA on 17 and 40 meters. I just happened to tune across a 2 way QSO in progress on 17m one day. So I turn the Kam+ on and monitored the QSO and then linked to one of the stations after they broke the link on their QSO and the op filled me in. We have had a few QSOs since then and I enjoyed reminiscing of the day when Pactor HF QSOs were not uncommon. It wouldn't have been possible if I wouldn't have known what a Pactor link sounded like.

AJ6LB likes this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what it is.

6. KC9VFO

KC9VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just heard that exact noise on 7210 a little while ago in Wisconsin . Before I started tearing my house apart I remembered this topic. Fortunately it faded away, definitely not local to me.

7. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies and information. 73 RAC

8. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the usual digital mode QRM.

PU2OZT likes this.
  9. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried to decode it but other than it having the same tx timing plus the same bw as the ft4 cursor - nothin decoded
    possibly it was ft4 recorded from lsb instead of usb
    wonder if there is a way to invert it back to usb