Anyone know if ICOM, KENWOOD OR YEASU make/sell DMR

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by K3YBN, Jun 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K3YBN

K3YBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for who is selling DMR radios I know TYT does but their radios (9600) only stores 3000 entries in the codeplug entries in the radio. I am looking for a radio that will store the entire database or at least all of the USA entries and maybe a few spaces left for UK and AU. I dont think I can do that with the TYT radios but thought maybe I one of the ICOM, KENWOOD OR YEASU makes were different.
    I am going to be taking a trip and ya can never be sure where I will turn up hence the desire for a large selection of repeaters etc.

Jim K3YBN

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope, no DMR from the big 3.
    Alinco does but I'm not sure if it's actually their product or rebranded Chinese.

K0UO likes this.
  3. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

My suggestion is if you can't store ALL of them is to make several code plugs broken up by geographical sections and upload them to the radio as needed while on travel.

4. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood does indeed sell DMR radios. They are of course commercial Part 90 radios, not really marketed to the ham community. The NX-3000 series comes with DMR an NXDN standard. They also make the NX-5000 series, which are public safety radios (more expensive). These can do any two of DMR, P25, or NXDN at a time. NXDN is standard, DMR and P25 are additional cost. They used to make some other models as well. Icom has nothing to do with DMR. They market NXDN and P25 radios to the commercial market. Yaesu split off from Vertex after the Motorola acquisition. Vertex does make DMR radios.

N3FAA likes this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As a LMR Kenwood and Icom Dealer in the past, I know that they do sell Digital commercial Part 90 P25 radios (but Icom uses NXDN IDAS Digital)
    Kenwood DMR
    Yes Yeasu also has DMR

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You really need to distinguish between DMR targeted at the commercial market and DMR targeted at the amateur market. They use the same modulation and protocols, and you can use a commercial DMR for amateur operation - that is how amateur DMR started - but it is not really a good solution. To be sold on the commercial market, the radio has to restrict what users can do - the licencing authorities don't want a warehouse employee retuning his radio to arbitrary frequencies and interfering with other users. Commercial DMR radios tend to have small memories - you don't need a contact list a couple of hundred thousand slots long or hundreds of channels in most commercial contexts.

Anytone and Alinco recognised that there was growing ham interest in DMR and reacted by developing versions that had the features that were needed in a ham context - VFO mode, front panel programmability, lots of memories etc. I don't believe that any of the Big Three have addressed that market yet.

Martin (G8FXC)

G0CIQ likes this.
  7. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not one of the big 3, but the Anytone AT-878UVII holds half a million contacts, 4000 channels, bluetooth, and APRS. It is far better than any of the TYT radios.

That's about double the current DMR contact DB size. Programming software (CPS) is free. The Anytone radios are very popular.

8. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

... and very good too! I have the AT-878UV and it is a very well built radio. The standard of construction compares well with the best out of the Big Three and performance is good. Support is also very good - regular firmware releases which both fix bugs and introduce new features.

Martin (G8FXC)

9. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with Martin, when I replied I was referring to gear made for the amateur market. Although Kenwood and Yaesu/Vertex may have commercial DMR equipment it is not amateur-friendly and I don't think I have ever seen any of those radios in amateur service.
    In the early days of ham DMR everyone was using Motorola Trbo radios because that is all that was available, but they were expensive and the software to program them was proprietary so most users had to find someone who had the license to program their radio for them. It wasn't until the inexpensive Chinese DMR radios came along (notably the MD-380) with free and readily available software, that ham DMR took off and the user base began growing. Then came the hacked firmware with ham-friendly features like the contact database, monitor mode and so on and eventually manufacturers like Anytone began to incorporate these features in their radios from the factory. The rest is history.
    I have an Anytone 868 and I agree it's a well-made unit with great features and performance. Not all Chinese radios are bad.

10. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The TYT MD-2017 holds 100,000 contacts, with the latest firmware.