ad: Flexradio-1

Anyone in Central Texas Area?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KI5QMP, Jul 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KI5QMP

KI5QMP Ham Member QRZ Page

How did he make contacts? I haven't had much luck with the "Universal Simplex Freq" at 146.52 MHz either, but I assumed that it was a range problem with my radio. Thoughts?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

He was using VOIP. It works as good as your internet connection.

.52 is OK, But they would need to be very close to you for simplex.

Get your wife a licenses then she can call you on simplex. :)

3. KI5QMP

Good to know and thanks for the advice. The wife is studying for her tech license right now, so we should be set pretty soon. I guess that I was hoping to be able to contact other hams without using an internet connection - especially after we got nailed by that ice storm.

4. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Usually you can join the clubs without joining ARES or ARRL. Some clubs are ARRL affiliated and they like to have some percentage of membership as ARRL members but it is not required.

Local 2M FM can be really hit or miss but don't give up. Belton HamExpo is in October, that would be a good chance to meet some Central Texas hams.

KI5QMP and KA9JLM like this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree Belton HamExpo would be a good place to go.

It is one of the best in Texas.

WD5GWY and KI5QMP like this.
  6. KH6IDF

KH6IDF Ham Member QRZ Page

Today from 10:43 until 10:51 (AM) listen on 437.8 MHz FM. It would help to be outside. You should hear the space station go over with its cross band repeater. You may hear my call or KI5OWG, who will be visiting my shack this morning.

KI5QMP likes this.
  7. KI5QMP

So just to verify that I'm doing everything correctly, I took a screen shot of the steps I was following, to connect the 146.660
    I'll be there. Thanks man.

8. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

And it will be held Oct 2nd 2021 for the first time since the panic hit

9. KI5QMP

I'll try to go for sure. The only schedule conflicts I can predict is that my wife wants me to compete in the Salado Oktoberfest events, LOL.

1. Also, I made a new post with the steps I have been following to connect to the local repeaters. Do you have any experience with the UV-5R?

10. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes Belton is a good place to look around.