ad: elecraft

Anyone here use 3D CAD software other than Rhino 6?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KY8D, Apr 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

So I'm working on a program to help with designs of LPDAs. I already have output loadable into the 3D CAD system Rhino 6. Works by simply outpting text to run as a script inside that CAD. But Rhino 6 costs $900, so not an option for very many. So I am asking if any of you that use maybe FreeCAD, Solidworks, or one of the others might volunteer a few simple pointers toward helping me to support the 3D CAD platform that you prefer.

As a for instance, here is a screenshot from Rhino 6, with my own QTH from Google Earth set as the background for the top view and scaled to meters. Shown is an 18-element LPDA for 12-17m, 18m long, with guy points projected 1 m out from element 1.

[​IMG]

2. AJ4UY

AJ4UY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used AutoCad from Autodesk. I have always considered purchasing AutoCad - however, I have always made do with School Computer time, Free Introductory Level subscriptions. One project , I paid a young college sophomore to do a nice 3D Portfolio which I later submitted to the U.S.P.T.O. In our Nations Capital.

You may find an inexpensive recruit ( College CAD student ) on Craigslist which may suite your desires.

KY8D likes this.
  3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Draftsight from Dassault Systems, the Solid Works people. 99.99% AutoCad compatible, and not expensive. It was free for years, and I guess they got enough people to use it that they started charging. It works fine though and all the 3D stuff is in there, even though they don't talk about it really. There might be a trial period that works long enough to do what you want. If you know AutoCad, you'll know your way around right off.

KY8D likes this.
  4. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I use solidworks on a daily basis, but I'm not really sure of what you are asking. Are you developing a macro for use within solidworks?

KY8D likes this.
  5. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

An alternate solution presents itself. For Rhino 6 CAD, how I did was take advantage of the built-in scripting engine. That was easy as anything, simply assemble the commands in proper order. And as FreeCAD also has a scripting engine, I had thought to do similarly for that. But the concept doesn't scale very well, as I'd have to do likewise for each new CAD system. Far better will be to export to IGES, which every CAD system of any merit knows how to import. A quick search on Google brought me to a PDF detailing the format. So I'll go that way. By outputing a *.IGS file, all bases are covered. IGES is old, but it's still an Air Force standard, and will remain so. Not going away anytime soon. And the file format looks simple enough. I thank everyone for their kind consideration.

6. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

I trust that you can import IGES files, yes? I've decided to go that route. It will cover all bases.

7. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

I trust that you can import IGES files, yes? I've decided to go that route. It will cover all bases. Thank you for replying.

8. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No idea, I've never had the occasion to do that. I did confirm that there's 30 day trial, so you could give it a go.