Anyone here have experience operating an SR-160?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W2FCP, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. W2FCP

W2FCP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using my SR-160 since I passed my General test on Saturday. So far I have been getting good signal reports.

I was reading through my copy of the manual and it talks about checking for neutralization of the finals. Does anyone have any experience doing that check that could explain it to me? Part of the process is hooking up a meter to the red and the blue jacks on the jones connector, which was already done (measures final amplifier plate current). Then it says to tune in to 14,150kc in CW and adjust the carrier to 50 volts, no problem I know how to do that. Then it says to tune the final tune control through resonance and observe the plate current dip and output voltage maximum. I don't quite understand what I should be looking for there. Can anyone give me a better understanding on how to do this?

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

When your final is properly nuetralized, the maximum rf power output will occur when the plate current is at a dip,

If the rf "peaks" a bit to one side of the plate dip or the other, you will want to readjust the nuetralization.

Rege

3. W2FCP

How do I observe the plate dipping on the 160? I have an SWR meter and an RF Power output meter. How am I supposed to observe the plate current dip and voltage reach maximum?

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't seen an SR-160 since High School, and I'm approaching retirement, but you mentioned in your post that you connected a meter between the red and blue posts to read Final Amplifier Plate Current. That's what they are talking about - as you tune for maximum output, you should see a distinct dip in the Plate Current in the same place as the maximum output that you see on your power meter. You should be doing this adjustment into a dummy load if at all possible, so you aren't generating QRM on the air.

5. W2FCP

Ok that makes sense to me. I think a tube purchase is needed. I noticed one of the final tube filaments is not lit, as well as the audio output tube.

6. K4AVL

K4AVL Ham Member QRZ Page

antique electronics (tubesandmore.com) has 12DQ6B's on sale for around $10 right now if you need them

7. W2FCP

Thanks, I just purchased a set of those and 12AT7's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.