Anyone have experience with Loop On Ground receive antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KW4GT, Jan 13, 2018 at 3:34 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been looking for ideas for receive only antennas for the low bands and stumbled across an article for a LOG (Loop On Ground). This one looks intriguing to me because supposedly it can give good performance with a square loop of only 15 ft. per side. I'm wondering if anyone here as any experience with these - ultimately I'd like to improve s/n ratio on 40 and 80 (and ultimately 160 if I can ever get a transmit antenna up).

(If I had the space I'd try some beverage antennas but I just don't have that much real estate.)

N5AVF and AC1CX like this.
  2. N5AVF

N5AVF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have more than enough space for beverages. I opted for the LoG.

Have two LoG's. One 60 foot built to KK5JY's http://www.kk5jy.net/LoG/ specifications. Matt was very helpful with a few construction questions I had. I also have a second that is 400-feet long (100' foot square). The 60-footer performance is excellent and works well. The 400-footer is spectacular, especially on 40/80/160/BCB & 600m. I won't be needing anything else for a low band receive antenna. I ordered the materials and constructed the transformers. Wire is 16AWG insulated solid copper from Home Depot. (THHN)

Both are fed with RG6, feed lines buried back to the shack. For 14 MHz and down, they work great. You'll need a different solution for the higher HF frequencies.

Caveat: I have terrible ground conductivity at my QTH. Extremely sandy. My ground conditions are ideal for this type of antenna. I'm also very rural. When the power company isn't reading their meters, I have an extremely low noise floor, S0-S3 most days.

Here's my last 12 hours of FT8 logging on 40m. This is on the 400-footer. https://imgur.com/eyefYlt

I don't have any screen shots of it, but most evenings my 80m FT8 & WSPR logging looks a lot like 40m. ;)

As they say, YMMV. Good luck!

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a receiving antenna here that is two different length inv. "L"s going to a common feedpoint and radial system. It's used with a tunable preamp and mostly for SWBC and utility radio listening.
    If I tried a loop on ground the deer would trample it and break the thing.
    A square Loop 15 ft on a side, up in the air a way, would resonate at 16.75 MHz. A bit too small for 80 or 40M. laying on the ground would lower the freq of resonance by a lot but never tried one to measure it.
    My loop here is up 1/4 wave and cut for 40M and works fine for T and R with a lot better S/N ratio than dipole or vertical here.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 7:35 PM
  4. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like it's worth a try.