Anyone have any regrets on buying an IC-9700?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KN4DQE, Jun 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

TRAVIS,

THE ARRL DID A SUPER JOB WITH THE PRODUCT REVIEW OF THE IC-9700.

IC-9700 PRODUCT REVIEW.jpg

HOPEFULLY, YOU WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO READ THE
    ENTIRE PRODUCT REVIEW.

LOTS OF GOOD SCOOP.

73 - K1LKP

2. N8SAN

N8SAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for that. Seems like a very simple solution, albeit another thing to buy.
    But is it required for 2m? Seems to be more a problem at 1.2ghz.

KA2RRK likes this.
  3. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not certain that it is particularly, that would depend upon the operating conditions.

I tend to think it's a fad to add. Decimal 6 places, look it doesn't move Sam... Bull than
    what it adds, now I can sense someone going to try and soak me with their RED AB&C device, just because it is in hands reach...

You know for less than a good antenna price or so, and almost a weekend add on. It reminds me of drag racing where on Saturday night you stole the other guys girl cuz you bought a super charger on Wednesday and Friday had the bugs out. And won. Except for this one you get a decent piece of wallpaper with frequency measurements test wins...

RRK

WD4ELG likes this.
  4. N8SAN

I'm sorry. I've read this a few times.
    What?

Maybe it is a fad to add the GPS reference oscillator, but there sure is decent amount of vids and "complaints" about it. Is it just for WSPR type things on 1.2 with extended transmissions? Maybe. I don't have a 1.2ghz antenna, nor do I intend to add one.

What I'm asking is does it matter on 2m at low drive power? Because for JT65 for EME, it will be a longer transmission as well. But I'll be driving a TE Systems amp with 10ish watts. If 2m is not susceptible to this drift than I don't need to care. The only videos I've seen have pertained to 1.2 only. Which leads me to believe it's only on that band.

5. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

See it depends...

RRK

6. N8SAN

OK Never mind.

Anyone else have some knowledge on the drift issue, specifically with 2m?

7. K6VOX

K6VOX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Only regret thus far ( 2 weeks old) is no general coverage in VHF/UHF receiver. And I have not found a mod to open up the receiver. So Air bands, ATC, Fire Air, Police Air or even NOAA Weather arent possible. Unless someone has figured out a mod?

8. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom does not hide this fact. Representatives actually use this as a selling point. Their basic statement is that the architecture of the receiver would not be nearly as sensitive were it wider. Basically, the radio works so well for weak-signal because it cannot receive these sundry frequencies.

In any case, I would certainly not try to make any mods to make the receive wider. You are likely to ruin a $2K+ radio.

In any case, a $30 RTL-SDR will allow you to monitor all manner of VHF and UHF traffic to your heart's content.

WD4ELG, KA3TJI and WD9EWK like this.