Anyone have any regrets on buying an IC-9700?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KN4DQE, Jun 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The TX FM bandwidth is set with the function menu button when in FM mode.

2. WA7FWF

WA7FWF Ham Member QRZ Page

My 9700 is unplugged and sitting on the desk as a backup for my 9100, other than it's small size and color display it really does not outperform my 9100 in any area. I make use of Falconsat-3 at times so the missing 9600 capability is a loss for me, 9600 support was on all the previous Icom sat radios like the 9100,910,821 etc. but for whatever reason Icom dropped it on the 9700 and kept quiet about it. I have the VK3HZ ref board in my 9100 so it is more stable than my 9700, even with syncing a 9700 still shifts when the fan comes on, yeah it's a acceptable amount of drift but there could have easily been zero drift. There is no D-star activity where I am at so having that in the 9700 by default does not buy me anything. At least for me and how I use it if I could back up time I would skip buying a 9700 again. What I would like to see now is a FT-991B that is full duplex with a ref lock.

3. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, now that's and idea a FT991B with duplex !

Now that would be interesting I so nearly went with the FT991A when buying my HF rig but the lack of duplex chopped it and I stuck with my very old 2m and 70cms kit which fortunately still works even though it isn't that great (FT480r and FT790r Mk1)

You chaps are saying $1700 when here it is currently $2400 (in your currency) I have looked hard at the IC-9700 but it is too high a price here in the UK... back in 1980's I bought both the 480 and 790 (ok lower power etc.) but it was 3 weeks wages as a relative junior worker. the IC-9700 is more than a months wages as a quite senior worker were I still working and not retired so … it isn't great value for money. Then I am reading that they removed features that I hadn't realised between the IC9100 and the 9700 so it does beggar questions. I am keeping hoping that the old 480 and 790 keep going. :)

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I also have an IC-9100 and it's not perfect but it's pretty good.

It runs the same TX power as the 9700 on 2m and 70cm, but also has 100W on 6m so it's much more of a "VHF station in a box" than the 9700 is. And of course it has 10m also for those who want to use transverters for the other VHF-UHF-SHF bands, as well as being a "decent" performer on HF in general.

The 9700 is cute and a bit smaller/lighter but I think they made a mistake omitting 6m.

Still, I must say now that the 9700 has come down in price I'm considering one for the mobile/rover station. If it came down just a bit more in price, and maybe it will, I'll get one.

5. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using my 9100 for several years and love it. I was excited when the 9700 was announced, but that was short lived when they claimed it only had three bands and the list price. Then the mediocre reviews it got was a turnoff for me. I must admit the new $1,450 price had me thinking and I almost pulled the trigger. I'm keeping my 9100!

6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 9100 still new in box. And I'm still waiting for my 9410 and/or V8000 to show any signs of degradation before I unbox my 9100.

New 9700? I just can't keep up!

7. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

Update - I just bought one and it arrived yesterday. It is a very nice radio - has a lot of bells and whistles, and I love the fact that it is a base station (rather than using a mobile radio for a base station). However - here are my irks for the radio:

• For how much it costs, Icom could have put the standard larger format headphone jack on the radio - like Kenwood and Yaesu do. I realize the 7300 also has the small jack but most nice headphones come standard with the larger jack
    • Wish they would have included a TNC / standard APRS functionality with the radio. Yes I realize it comes with DPRS, but with APRS I could leave it on the APRS channel and transmit all of the time, and it's a standard. My kenwood THD74 doesn't do DPRS, but it does DSTAR and APRS, so it's not out of the realm that they could have put a TNC in the thing and provided this functionality.
    • Wish they would have put an HDMI output on this thing (like the 7610) - it would have been nice to be able to output the screen to a monitor without having to use their software method (which I have to buy).
    No regrets on my end for buying this thing, just wish it would have come with these features for the price.

8. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like mine, but the Satellite Mode implementation is a joke on the 9700 and was not designed by anyone who chases the birds.

9. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For headphones, the standard is changing. 3.5mm ports have become the default on so many devices that most manufacturers of high grade cans either ship them with two different cables, or a 3.5mm termination with a screw-on 1/4 inch adapter.

I can understand why they did not include APRS out of the box. If you ran APRS on 144.390 all the time, you would never be able to use the radio for anything else on 2m. I imagine that trying to avoid all of the potential complaints about that was at least part of the decision to exclude APRS natively. A general purpose TNC would not have been a bad thing to include, but there is software now that performs as good or better than any hardware TNC. In the same vein, the lack of 9600bps capability even with an external TNC is a curious omission though.

W5SAT and KN4DQE like this.
  10. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm trying to figure out the DD feature. We have 1 repeater locally here in 23cm that has DD, but even the admin can't seem to get it to function. I sent a note to Icom asking what specific settings I need to have on my end to ensure that everything is correct that I am trying at least.