Anyone have any regrets on buying an IC-9700?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KN4DQE, Jun 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple times a year the big guns run SSB, always fun to listen to, with your otherwise CW and WSJT EME rig.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me...
    Many people now seem to think VHF/UHF operation is "appliance easy." Well, except for FM and repeaters, it just ISN'T! It's MOSTLY weak signal work, not 40 dB over S9 all the time. THAT is the challenge to VHF/UHF work,, which IS a "specialty" for serious weak signal operators, and THAT is the market for radios like the 9700 (or FT-736R or TS-790A before it.) They are specifically for V/UHF work, and not meant to be a "DC to Light" radio, and the prerequisite compromises made in most (if not all) HF+VHF+UHF all-in-one radios! Radios such as the 9700 can design their performance to V/UHF work, NOT as an afterthought to a decent HF radio. THAT is why the 9700 may SEEM "too expensive," but put it into perspective: converted to 2021 real dollars, how much do you think the FT-736R or TS-790A radios would cost (if still available?) They would be far more expensive that the IC-9700. The 9700 is NOT for "everyham." (Nor is it "everyradio" for all V/UHF weak signal enthusiasts.) But it IS a specialized radio for the appropriate audience.

W7UUU and WD4ELG like this.
  3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Undoubtedly so - it is a lovely piece of equipment and well worth the money if you need its functionality. I suspect that the number of hams that really do need that functionality is quite low and a lot of 9700s will end up being used primarily for local chat through repeaters. I love lots of lights and a good touch screen on my radio - and would, therefore, love to have a 9700 on my desk, but I really can't justify the price when all it will do for me is what my FTM-400 is currently doing!

Martin (G8FXC)

WA9SVD likes this.
  4. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine showed up yesterday....not good. Smells like something is overheating, FM running 50 watts out. SWR is less than 1:1.2 with good coax and connectors, not a clue as to what’s going on. Power supply checked at 13.8 vDC. Not showing high temp on scale and the fan is running like normal.

5. N4DJC

Well dealer is sending me a replacement, sent me a mailing label too.

6. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Your FTM-400 does CW, ssb on 2 and 70cm? FT8?..MSK144?

You're right, if all you operate is FM, repeaters and maybe some C4FM, the 9700 would be a waste of money.

"the number of hams that really do need that functionality" is probably higher than your guess.
    Personally, I use it for multiple reasons, Satellites, fast intuitive menu system, FT8, CW, and msk144 meteor scatter.
    I also have the Yaesu FTM 100D which is my rag chew rig, NOT the 9700.

Lastly; unless one mates the 9700 to some decent Yagi's, one is again wasting their money.

WD4ELG likes this.
  7. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but I know I ridiculously overpaid for what I use it for. FM Simplex, Repeaters, & D*Star. I really bought it for future proofing, hopefully one day I'll move out of this HOA QTH and be able to put some real antennas outside.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, "infant mortality" can (and does) to even the best of products, whether radi0s, autos, or anything else. THAT is one reason for a "warrantee." It IS inconvenient, but at least the dealer IS making it "right."

9. N4DJC

The dealer shipped a new radio the next day after receiving the return....I could hardly ask for better service.

WA9SVD and WD4ELG like this.
  10. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Practice makes perfection.