Anyone have any regrets on buying an IC-9700?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KN4DQE, Jun 14, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'm suitably embarassed at not having seen the Leo Bodnar unit, especially as I looked it up as in the Uk. That said, I'm not sure I want to start opening the case of the 9700 to install itwhen as yet I haven't had a need.

Now the meteor scatter thing... well that sounds pretty fiddly to setup and get the best out of..

I have to setup my g5500 rotator and antennas and then downtackle them on the days I use them. The age old problem of having space or neighbours and folk who don't mind. HF wire antennas are longer but easilier to do 'stealth' even if not massively efficient.

WD4ELG likes this.
  2. VE4CY

VE4CY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, that Leo Bodnar unit requires surgery.. Not a fun thing to have to do on a brand new rig. But, one plus is that it doesn't require soldering so you can't mess things up too bad.

For 2m scatter all you need is a computer running a program called WSJT-X, a USB cable to connect the computer to the 9700 and a fairly decent antenna. There are all sorts of instructions online on how to connect the computer to the 9700.

I have a Cushcraft 13B2 (13 elements on a 15 foot boom). It's actually fixed right now with no rotor. I have it temporarily mounted at 16 feet pointing to the SE. It works great.. (If I were in Britain, I'd leave it pointed at the continent).

No neighbor problems here. I live in the country. My only 'neighbors' are cows and sheep :)

WD4ELG likes this.
  3. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered a 9700 yesterday, I’m pleading temporary insanity.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

1.5 Meters? Is THAT an amateur band?:confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

It's unlikely any of the "big three" (YaeComWood) would include a 1.25 Meter (222 MHz) band in a radio that would ONLY have appeal to Region II operators, (who are mostly in the U.S.) The international market (the rest of the world) wouldn't want to pay for a band they can't use. Now, if it were a modular radio, with 222 MHz all-mode as an option (ala FT-736R) it might have a chance, but since the IC-9700 is now in production, such a radio seems doubtful.
    (If ONLY Kenwood would come out with a successor to the TS-790A!:(:rolleyes: I'm not holding my breathe, though.)

5. VE4CY

VE4CY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine arrived five days ago. Gotta say I love it.. It's a bit intimidating at first, especially if you aren't familiar with its popular HF cousin, the IC-7300.

On first power-up, t took me about five minutes just to figure out how to change bands :) But, after grinding away at it for a while it got progressively easier. I've connected it to my computer via the USB port for running digital modes. (Made my first meteor scatter contact yesterday on 2 meters). All the local FM repeaters have been programed using the CS-9700 software. Yesterday I finished setting the radio up for D-Star. Everything works great.

The only features I haven't tackled yet are satellite and the D-Star network modes (terminal etc). D-Star isn't a big deal for me, but I do see satellite operating in the future...

No regrets buying the 9700.......

W7UUU and G0KDT like this.
  6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would love to have one - my wife offered to buy me one for Christmas - but it would be a complete waste of money for me... I live at the bottom of a valley that runs roughly NW-SE - my poor 9700 would die of boredom - just used to talk through repeaters a few miles away which are the only things I can hear on VHF/UHF!

Martin (G8FXC)

7. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine will arrive Monday. It will be my first all mode vhf/uhf since the 80’s.

W7UUU likes this.
  8. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Martin, you could do EME!

9. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess so, but what I really like about radio is chatting - I don't think you get to do much of that over the EME path, do you?

Martin (G8FXC)

10. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think so. Most of the QSO's are with software using digital modes. Only a few big gun stations actually have quick exchanges beyond that.