ad: n2yo

Anyone have and use the CTX-10?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KB7NRN, Jul 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7NRN

KB7NRN Ham Member QRZ Page

As the title says, anyone have and use the CTX-10 from Comm Radio?
    Especially with the latest firmware.

Curious how the ATU works. Also interested in the overall radio and functions. How do you like it?

2. KG4ZQZ

KG4ZQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

yes... have two actually... one purchased used for use as a 'beater'... there is a new firmware purportedly slated for release shortly that will address some issues for CW ops, such as adjustable sidetone... you should know that if you are going to use the rig for voice, you will need either a Flex FHM-3 (best), MH-31 modified (perhaps W2ENY's kit), a TenQ MH-31 clone (workable).... otherwise your SSB will be unintelligible w/severe clipping... overall i like the rig, as it is self-contained... the internal tuner is no great shakes (unlike Xiegu's X5105 or G90 which will tune wet noodles) but good enough, and fast enough... rig is lightweight and simple to operate, which is its main attraction... there are a few ergonomics and operating characteristics i don't like, such as reversion to .5kHz tuning for the VFO when bandchanging in HF, forcing me to cursor-shift, but rapid rotation according to a menu setting can get you zipping through a band... filtering is nice, though not variable with set steps... i don't use the memories much on the CTX-10, but i do on the CR1A (it is much easier to instantly transition from the HF ant to the VHF ant using memories)... i have my beater CTX-10 sometimes set up with a my beater used CR1A, which seems to be a good combo... for /P i use a crappie pole, wire, and unun... i get heard...