Anyone have a document of testing procedures for HF with new antenna/radios?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7OK, Sep 12, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It really helps to have a second receiver. With the antenna disconnected, it should allow you to see how you actually sound on the air. You may need to record the signal so you can talk into the radio and then analyze it after - particularly if you are working with any kind of speech compression or sound equalizer.

Beyond that, it's mostly looking at the antenna design and SWR. Can your tuner adequately match the radio to the antenna on the desired bands?

Yes, reversebeacon network, and pskreporter or WSPR would all be valid ways to test, but you won't easily be able to match results from one day to the other. When the ionosphere is involved, you're mostly measuring the band conditions, which can vary dramatically from hour to hour and day to day. Still, these tools are very handy for verifying that you are, indeed, 'getting out'. I'm calling CQ on 28.076 right now just for fun.

KB7OK likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All true, but a GREAT way to use the skimmers is to have a neighbor ham (or two or three) get on the air at the same time, on the same band, and all call CQ at once then look at the report. Strongest guy wins.:)

Propagation varies almost by the minute, but a few signals from almost the same location all on at the same time won't experience much variation in propagation -- should be the same for everybody at that moment, if the stations are close together.

KB7OK likes this.
  3. KB7OK

KB7OK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you to all who have offered up advise. Lots of great comments and observations I had not given thought to. I appreciate all the feedback.

- Kerry