Anyone experience this with their IC-7300 audio?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD2PII, Feb 14, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD2PII

KD2PII Ham Member QRZ Page

I was trying to see if I could zero beat without AGC because I thought it might make it easier to get in close once the beat got really slow. The manual makes no mention on what AGC settings to use for this- and so I decided to experiment.

When trying to manually set the gain for the WWV carrier I ran into some clipping (no surprise there). After backing the gain off I could hear some strange "digital" noises appearing in the audio. Kind worried me a little. It didn't go away until I turned the radio off and back on.

Has anyone with an direct sampling SDR type rig run into this? Is it just a software thing? I should probably always have AGC on (clearly). Kinda makes me wonder why there's even an option to turn it off.

Thanks and 73 DE KD2PII

2. AA4MY

AA4MY Ham Member QRZ Page

I zero-beat with AGC off (in AM) mode on an IC-7610, and I haven't heard the digital noises in the background in the video. What happens when you turn the noise blanker off and noise reduction off?

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Could be DSP noise reduction artifacts or your filter is very narrow and you are getting ringing.

4. KD2PII

KD2PII Ham Member QRZ Page

Same thing with NB/NR off. They appear to have no effect.