Anyone else hearing a woodpecker on 40M?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7WFM, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KV4RH

KV4RH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been hearing something on 15, 20, and 40 that seems to cluck along at 90-100 bpm and just trucks right up or down through the band at s9+ when it zero beats, like a wave going by. Any ideas?

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The RWP would frequently wipe out the entire 20m band in the afternoon for hours at a time in the US. I even recall complaints that its pulses were coming through on home entertainment equipment like unshielded solid state stereo amplifiers - the same crappy junk that would pick up a ham's signal from blocks or miles away (and of course the owners always insisted it was the ham's fault).

Just before the Iron Curtain collapsed, the US was planning their own OTHR with transmitters on both coasts, but those were never deployed after the Soviet Union fell. There had been some attempts in Europe and in the US at world-wide grass-roots efforts to fight any further expansion of OTHR, promoted more by SWL enthusiasts than by ham organisations like ARRL, but of course this soon became a moot point.

3. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't remember it running for hours at a time, but it was rather intrusive. I lived in Germany for 3 years, starting in 1980. While I was there I operated as DA2EU and mostly operated 15 Meter CW as my rig was CW only. I would also use phones to keep the noise down for everyone else. When the RWP came on it was like someone drove a spike through your head. You couldn't reach the volume control fast enough. And even then, with the volume all the way down and the phones on the table, I could still hear it.

Maybe I just operated during it's test periods because it usually only lasted about 10-15 minutes and then went silent. Then, slowly but surely, the band would start picking up. In another 20 minutes it was like nothing ever happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.