Anyone else hearing a woodpecker on 40M?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7WFM, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Much wider... CODAR is 30 to 40 KHz wide, the old Woodpecker literately took out the ENTIRE ham band, that's 500 KHz. I suspect it was wider than that too... CODAR also runs in the hundreds of watts range, whicle the Woodpecker ran in the megawatts range, and had great antenna arrays to boot.

2. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, been hearing it, but definitely not the same as the woodpecker. My noise blanker is fairly effective against this current PITA. Against the ol' woodpecker, the NB was totally useless (at least that was my experience in Europe during that era; CONUS may not have had it so bad).

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is exactly how I would describe what I heard at about 28.470 most of the day yesterday.

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know where this new OTHR is coming from? I get it on 40M quite often these days...

Steve
    KV6O

5. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I can hear a very weak, slightly pulsating carrier on 7040, using my 3-transistor RX. But not, as I understand it, a classic woodpecker.

6. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember the MOSCOW MUFFLER?
    MM.jpg

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Remember those VERY well. I owned two of them. They were largely
    ineffective but helped at least in my experience. I wish I had kept one
    of them just as a novelty in the shack.

Anyone who experienced the original RWP will likely never forget how HORRID it was.

The new one at least isn't ubiquitous - at least not here - as the original.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Haven't heard any woodpeckers on the air, only a few cuckoos. :rolleyes:

9. KJ6UFY

KJ6UFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps N. Korean SNR-75 ‘Fan Song’ Fire Control Radar.

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Be glad of that. You think power line noise is a QSO killer? The Russian
    Woodpecker was a "turn off the radios and do something else" infuriating thing
    that would randomly destroy an otherwise fun and productive evening on the radios.

Dave
    W7UUU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.