Anyone else feel like selling and moving on? Apologies for bellyaching.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Aug 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Any ever think of hanging things up, selling off your radios, and putting the money toward another hobby?

It used to be a lot of fun working ham in Korea (here as HL1ZIX). Then a few years ago, the rules changed. Korea stopped issuing longterm ham licenses to foreigners, although a few of us were (graciously) grandfathered in. I appreciate that I was extended, l but it has created an unfortunate "why bother" situation when potential new blood learns they will only be allowed a 3-month license here. Translation -- I am one of the few foreigners left in the hobby (and there were but a few handfuls to begin with).

The local ham shops in Korea charge 1.5 to 2x the price for the same radio sold in the US or Japan. They have worked with the government here to create a weird "approval" system which means if you do not buy your radio from a Korean shop, you must suffer through (and pay for) an inspection by the government. That wasn't sufficient deterrent to kill people bringing radios from overseas, so now they have made it illegal to buy or sell an unapproved radio without the local sticker. And they delete ads and make threats if you try to sell overseas radios (which used to be fine). Local dealers refuse to sell parts for their radios to other shops or repair people, and refuse warranty work on overseas radios.

Then, there is the boredom of most days with no contacts, despite following VOACAP and trying. I am just bored. Tired and bored. I turn the radio on daily -- morning, noon, and evening, and either make a few close contacts on 40m, or the same people again on 15m, 17m, and 20m (when I can even hear any of them - which is rare, anymore).

I have a 17m and a 20m yagi at 60 and 65 feet. I have a 40m inverted-V 5 stories up, which also gives me 15m. It's not like I am antenna-starved. I built a resonant 15/17/20/40m linked dipole for portable work off at 120ft off of a tall building (where I used to get dozens of SSB contacts almost daily), and there are barely any contacts, except on 40m. Sadly, 40m is boring due to a lack of Asian English-speaking ops which can handle interesting topics (making some 400 mile contacts is boring, anymore). Many kind Japanese ops are happy to trade a basic QSO on 40m, but the language barrier makes conversation impossible.

Pretty much this entire summer had been dead, with the exception of the same nets with the same few people -- YB0AR, YB0IBM, maybe KE5EE when I can hear them. A few of the same JA ops. Not hearing Taiwan or much of anything from the Philippines, which used to be easy. Australia and New Zealand -- not much there, either.

Sunspots are even up, but I am getting far fewer contacts than when we had no sunspots. I am trying to figure that one out. Everyone on FT8?

CW has some people, but I have never particularly enjoyed it because I like talking (or a long digital chat).

Looking at what I could get for all that is wrapped up in equipment, and it's tempting to up and sell most everything.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    VK6APZ, N3RYB, N5AL and 2 others like this.
  2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

There's your problem. Stop doing that, go for a walk, start a garden and grow some vege's, find something else to do that interests you, talk to the wife, kids, grandkids and turn the radio on now and again and be excited by what you find, not disappointed by what you do not find.

Familiarity breads contempt. Never do something so much that you hate it.

K2MMO, K4KRV, AI5DD and 27 others like this.
  3. KE0EYJ

I do things like that.

AI5DD, KA4DPO, F8WBD and 1 other person like this.
  4. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a break from the hobby. At some point, it may call you to return and some times, you are done. You'll have your decision soon enough.

Wait to sell until that time arrives.

KE0EYJ, K0UO, N3RYB and 2 others like this.
  5. W4LJ

W4LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Any chance you'll be relocating to a more amateur radio friendly country?

AI5DQ and PU2OZT like this.
  6. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Taking a break worked well for me, but the break was for 50 years :). That included earning a U.S. call sign that I held for a decade and never used on the air :rolleyes:.

73 de Martin, G3EDM

K0UO, W4KYR, N4FZ and 2 others like this.
  7. KE0EYJ

No time soon. :(

I think I am also quite bummed because I made my multiband linked dipole for a portable project, and there are no decent DX signals.

8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is quite predictable that activity is down. Normally activity drops in the summer, as people go outside to do things like mow the lawn. This year I took the time to get the tools needed to sharpen my lawn mower blade.
    Not only is solar flux activity still low, but I think we are also seeing pandemic fatigue, in which people are simply tired of doing the stuff they did during the pandemic.
    I've been buying golf clubs and learning to play golf.
    There should be a little more activity when the weather gets cold.

Zak W1VT

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    N2HUN, N4BC, N1VAU and 4 others like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

So do i, but i only turn the radio on a few times a week, call cq, check rbn, make a few ft8 contacts, etc etc. I have been calling cq on cw for weeks and made no contacts other than some local parks guys. It is what it is, come ocdx, cqww etc things will fire up.

Conditions here have been rubbish, perhaps its a latitude thing, korea is about the same north of the equator as i am south. Most my contacts are USA, not JA as is typical. So the north south path is just not strong, and if its se or sw for you, your signal lands in the ocean.

10. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like your problem is where you're living. Move to a nice HOA in the states. They love ham radio.

VE2ZEB, AI5DD and G4OBB like this.