Anyone else do "radio picnics"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jul 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep....the Finger Lakes area in general is real nice country. We get back rarely now.

2. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a ham radio picnic but my overnight campout when I took part in the QRPCW Clubs April contest. Should have thought to have taken more photos as the views are stunning.

April 2018 QRP CW Contest_LI_1.jpg

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My XYL is not much on picnics but this sounds like one heck of a good idea. Get together with some other hams and their XYL's and have a radio picnic. Thanks for the idea!

4. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a great idea. Easy way and perhaps an effective one to promote the hobby to young people. I am going to try that. Thanks Steve

5. W7ROX

W7ROX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I don't do radio picnics in the sense it involves bringing food to eat or anything.

I do however have a portable setup I throw in the car. Then I find a suitable place to park the car, throw up a portable antenna and operate.

Finding a place to setup near a lake with an accommodating picnic table is one of my favorite ways to do this, but it's not always practical so in some cases a local park or other location is used.

It might sound odd but in most cases I am not always doing this to actually operate. Rather i'm usually just testing and experimenting with different ways of perfecting my portable setup. So every time I go out, I seek to encounter challenges and later try setting up something different that hopefully works better than what was done before.

For the most part, it's just something that gets me out of the house when the weather is nice outside.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    WD0BCT, WZ7U and W7ROX like this.
  7. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

But I do =)

http://www.us7ign.com/?p=1101

[​IMG]

KC8VWM and AD5HR like this.
  8. W7ROX

W7ROX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That makes my mouth water. What kind of meat do you have skewered? I might have to steal your pic-a-nic basket!