Anyone else do "radio picnics"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jul 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8PG

K8PG Subscriber QRZ Page

Radio picnics are lots of fun.
    We do 3 or 4 every yr.We
    just had one on Feb 18th was
    so cold our beer froze at the
    table by the time I walked back
    from the truck... 1800 ft or so.
    -27 degs.
    was hard getting the fire going.
    Then the burger froze up.
    Jenny would not start....vapor lock.
    Had fun freezing just the same.

W7UUU likes this.
  2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave...there is a large county park near us that has a RC airplane airport. In the summer my wife and I pack a picnic and when I get home from work we head down and watch the planes while we eat...then we move to our favorite picnic table and she reads her kindle while I toss an antenna up in the tree and work QRP CW...we're usually there until dark. It's fantastic....and cheap....which is very attractive to most hams.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds perfect :)

I'm the same way about such things

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks like a lot of fun!!

W7UUU likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Try it! It is a lot of fun!!

Dave
    W7UUU

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never done a "radio picnic" on my own, but clubs I've been in have, and they are a lot of fun.

One big one was sponsored by the Splitrock ARA in NJ when I was president of that rather large club in 1981. I didn't organize it, just attended it with my girlfriend at the time (wasn't married at the time) and I recall they had about six grills going plus tons of cold stuff (cold cuts, macaroni, potato salad, etc) and it was at a big park. I don't even remember who organized that, but I'm sure I approved the budget for it.:p

I think about 100 hams and XYLs, boyfriends/girlfriends/kids et al. attended and it was terrific.

Sadly, most ham clubs today seem to be predominantly older folks (like me!) and that won't yield the kind of activities younger folks will provide. I do sometimes fear ham radio is becoming an "old man's game," and I don't like that.

IMO the only way to keep the hobby going into the future is to attract more youngsters who might like "radio for the sake of radio," not because of digital work or DStar or all the techie stuff...if you are not into "radio magic," you're not a lifelong candidate. I think giving away shortwave receivers to kids helps, and I've done that several times locally --not even great SW radios, mostly old stuff that just happens to work. Any time I see a 40 year-old SW receiver at a swap meet or garage sale for $30 I buy it and give it to the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts...anyplace where there are young people who just "might" enjoy listening to it. If one or two are snagged, we're all good.

7. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

You could work on your WAPC

Worked All Pimento Cheese :p

8. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

i'm going up the mountains this weekend with my motorbike to get my first canyon-carving session of the season. i wanted to take a radio but that would require hitching the trailer to the truck and spending $$$$ on fuel.

i just want to drop off the radar as-fast-as-possible friday after work. but... i'm going to streamline my trailer-hitching/bike-loading procedures when i get back so i can be ready to roll with motorbikes/radios at a moments notice.

the buddies and i go to a motorcycle-friendly campground in east tn. its basically a wide-open field in the mountains with a bathhouse. a few years ago i popped-up a delta-loop and played radio. the owner of the campground is a good friend so he doesn't care if i try to put a rhombic up lol.

i need to get some portable gear. radio-picnics would be fun. my lady would be all-in.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad you posted this. Time to picnic.

About 4 years ago, we (my wife and kids) would head down to the Potomac River, near the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC. We'd set up next to the river...watching the sun set over Virginia. It would take us about an hour to get there and we had NO plans once there. Just sit. Watch the boats and planes go by, watch the joggers. Maybe the kids would play in the soccer field behind us. Just behind the soccer fields is the FDR memorial, an amazing (and new) thing in DC. And the Cherry Blossoms run along there too.

We did nothing, but everything. No phones. But maybe backgammon, or a walk along the river, whatever. We'd stay until dark.

After a few times, we brought along the cousins, and my mother. We had a blast, lots of kids, noise, activity (it is a busy place), folding chairs, iced tea, crackers and cheese...general mayhem.

My mother died about 2 years ago and we haven't been back. Maybe its time.

I probably shouldn't do any radio from there...tossing wires in the trees near the whitehouse is generally frowned upon.

But I should go back.

10. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the place. It is also the site of several repeaters and remote bases. I may be headed up there soon to get a closer look at their camping sites. Was up there last year for a while, and the place is beautiful.

WD0BCT likes this.