Anyone else do "radio picnics"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Jul 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Several of us set up for QRP most every week, Friday afternoon, by the salt water in Palo Alto. Verticals work great there! Generally 40, 30, 20 meters, CW and SSB.

W7UUU likes this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm charting out a good panic/QRP spot in our HOA neighborhood. The board has even discussed putting a picnic table up....I'm not going to mention it would be a good spot for a portable antenna.

3. WD0BCT

I've watched this video before. Ukrainians are tough...winter picnics.....at least you don't need the ice for your drinks! I did that in my younger days...but not anymore!

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey great! Be sure to put up a big American flag somewhere, so the gendarmes have no worries about what you are doing. Works every time, I guarantee.

5. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

Wanna hold FD there this year, Dave? Sounds like a great place to operate!

W7UUU likes this.
  6. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I plan to do a lot more this summer, last year I did a few solo and with family. I really enjoy getting out, tossing a rock and string and just playing radio.
    Last year got a rare chance to op from Mackinac Island, only made 2 contacts as conditions were about as bad as it gets at the time. Had a great time with a view.
    Pic is just out front of the Grand Hotel.

Attached Files:

N4XRD likes this.
  7. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a guy near me (Doug - W2GT) who occasionally rents a pavilion at Gannett Hill (not far from Canandaigua, NY) and sets up a HF station. A bunh of hams usually shows up and everybody has a good time. It is open to interested non-hams, too.

8. WD0BCT

Ahhh....your pics reveal a few things required for a pic nic person of my age. First...they make wonderful little folding chairs so your butt is not on the ground. At my age getting on the ground is not a problem....it's getting back up! They also make folding tables in order to rest your gear ergonomically to one's sitting position....the table even has a place to store your beverage. I never leave home for a day in the field w/o these two devices.

9. WD0BCT

My wife remembers a Gannett Hill on the south end of Canandaigua Lake....closer to Naples, NY. She is from Naples, NY. Not far from Canandaigua...but Canandaigua was on the north end of the lake.

10. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The QRP group I participate with on Wednesdays doesn't bring food along, but instead retires to Wendy's afterwards. I think I'm the only one not old enough to qualify for a free small Frosty. :(

WD0BCT likes this.