Anyone else collect the radios of the past you once had?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7JS, Jan 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Boat Anchor theft is a self-limiting problem. Thieves likely to either reach exhaustion or suffer a hernia before exiting the property with the radio! :)

KE5OFJ, W4JHU and N2EY like this.
  2. W8NGA

W8NGA Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first started off as a Novice back in the early 70's, I purchased my radios from Heathkit. I had been receiving their catalogs for a few years then and didn't know where else to get a rig from. As a teenager, I sent off for the HR-10B and DX-60B and built them while waiting for my novice ticket to arrive in the mail.

Anyway, about 10 years ago, I bought another HR-10 and DX-60 on ebay to relive my beginner days. Through my second time around with this pair, I then realized how bad those receivers were, hearing a big chunk of the novice band everywhere you tuned. Its a wonder that I ever succeeded in ham radio with that receiver.

Greg W8NGA ex-WN8NGA

N0NB likes this.
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

More than one ham has come home to find all his gear gone. Hams are no more honest than the general population and 2-3 fair size people ...only one may be a ham....with a van can strip a place pretty fast.

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

NGA:

The HR-10 / HR-10B receivers were actually better than what many Novice Class, and even General Class and higher Class, were using in the 1950s and well into the 1960s. Receivers like the National SW-54, Hallicrafters S-38- series, and the Heath AR-2 and AR-3 were common. Those receivers drifted, were broad as a barn in selectivity, and virtually deaf above 10 MHz.

However, no one told us how bad our receivers really were. So, we blindly used them for many thousands of QSOs and, basically, had a ball!

Glen, K9STH

K4TTJ and KA4DPO like this.
  5. VE7GPG

VE7GPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SB-104A - fat fingers - small keys !

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally knew several with bottom level receivers that never made it to General because they were unable to filter the QRM with their ears. A few refused to use headphones.

Once I graduated from a modified BC-454 and 455 to a used HQ-129X it was a new world. Some parents refused to buy used gear no matter its good quality reputation.

One friend used a vintage SX-17 and loved it and continued on 20 with a General.

Carl

7. K9STH

I had a Heath AR-3 when I took my Novice Class examination. In the 3.5-months between taking the test and actually receiving the license in the mail, I got a Hallicrafters S-107 (reboxed S-53A). That receiver actually was pretty sensitive even up to 10-meters and usable on 6-meters. But, the selectivity still sucked and it took a long time to get fairly stable. I definitely had to acquire a cerebral filter especially for CW in the old Novice Class 40-meter band with all the shortwave broadcast interference.

Then acquired a Hallicrafters S-85 receiver which definitely was better than the S-107. Next, I built a 17-tube home-brew receiver that included 6-meter and 2-meter converters and a "Q" multiplier with a variable bandpass filter that could go down to under 100 Hz selectivity. Then got a Hammarlund HQ-140X and then a Heath MR-1 Comanche receiver which is a pretty decent receiver with the 3.0 kHz filter followed by a Collins 75A-1 (was a basket case that was given to me which I got restored and working). This was followed by a Collins 75A-2 receiver and then a Heath SB-301. Finally, a Collins 75S-3A which is considered by many, myself included, as the best of all the 75S- series receivers.

I do have a fair number of receivers ranging from the Hallicrafters S-120 (basically a reboxed S-38- series) through all of the Collins A-Line to the RME-6900 to the Collins 51J- series. Some receivers are very poor performers and some are excellent.

Glen, K9STH

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I used an NC-173 as my novice receiver. It was far from perfect but was not all that bad, once I figured out the crystal phasing, I was able to get really good selectivity out of that old radio. Today I would say it was about one small step above rock bottom in 1965.:D

9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I'm missing something when people say things like "look at my zed page."

I clicked "QRZ Page" under your icon on the left and that opens another tab with your address and such, but the only photo is an outdoor one of woods in snow. If I click your call and "profile page" I get a different page showing your posts and such on the site. Neither has photos of Swan rigs.

What am I missing?

10. K9STH

IGX:

Clear your browser history and then click on the "QRZ Page" under PIH's call. Several photographs of "boat anchor" equipment come up. Now, if you hit the "detail" button, then things do disappear.

Glen, K9STH

WD4IGX likes this.