ad: KF7PMW-1

Anyone else collect the radios of the past you once had?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7JS, Jan 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7JS

N7JS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know if I'm some nostalgic freak but there seems to be something about the radios of your past that you seem to want to acquire them again. Maybe you were smart and hung on to them. I guess it's like cars. If you are like me, you want them in new condition (box and all) which can take some time to locate and be very expensive.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd love to have quite a few pieces of commercial gear I owned in the distant past.

I don't necessarily have "room" for all that, but it would be fun. Especially for AM work on HF. I had a Valiant about 45 years ago which was a great AM transmitter and it would be fun to have one again, today...if I could lift it!:p

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I do like to browse the swap meet forum to see what such gear looks like when other people put them up for sale. I don't buy any of it, but it's interesting to see what other people have collected, and to see how much of it I recognize.

4. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

hmmm - in the last year or so I have collected some of the earlier radios I used in the 60's. At first I thought I would just clean them up and display them. I actually never turned them on even tho most were sold to me as in 'good working order'.
    I managed to 'collect' an AR-3, DX60, HX50, HQ170A-VHF, Johnson 6N2 (with vfo)
    Then I progressed to 'I should really get them working again'. That thought lasted about a day.

Now I'm thinking its time to just get rid of all of them.

5. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, for a Ranger, an SX100 and a B&W t/r switch again.
    Mike N3PM

6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Love to have back my Delco 1500 marked as a 'prototype PRC-64. Crystal controlled and really QRP, but a real piece of history....

W7ASA likes this.
  7. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I purchased a CB radio from my Youth via Ebay a while back, and recently gave it away for free to a Friend who is able to work
    on the old tube stuff. I never got the time to work on it. I bet it needs to be recapped.

8. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Swan 500C, I'll pass. Atlas 210X - I'd be interested in getting provided the caps haven't dried out. Kenwood TS-930 - I still got it!

9. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not ham radios per se, but I restore antique WW-II and earlier radios, and Wurlitzer Juke Boxes as hobby and occasionally make a few coins off them. Wurlitzer Bubbler can demand up to $5000 to $10,000. Even a good Standing Motorola radio can bring in some decent cash from restaurants or man cave with a theme. Some of the radios would cover both commercial AM and SWL bands. Interesting hobby, more wood work and mechanical than electrical.

K1TGX, W4IOA and KK4CUL like this.
  10. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm collecting the radios I Would have had, if I had been born thirty years or so earlier! :) The magic of discovery through history is still there.

K6LPM, W4JHU, KB2FCV and 2 others like this.