Anyone else being unsolicited by this QRZ Mod imposter?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by NY8T, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe his callsign is being targeted because he had no published email address until now and the bio statement saying: "QRZ swapmeet Moderator."

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm afraid he got me yesterday. $400 for a new in appearance FT-857D. I've opened a dispute with PayPal
    and thankfully I used a credit card to pay. I've also sent a copy of the correspondence to the admin here.
    As soon as I realized I'd made a mistake (within 60 seconds) I filed a claim or dispute with PayPal. Not sure if anything will come of it enough to hurt the a-hole but I have gotten several emails from him stating that PayPal has blocked his account and wanting me to send him the payment for the radio another way. Insisting that I'm mistaken. I'd love to get my hands on the guy.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    KA2FIR likes this.
  3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd probably have to goto Lagos to do that.

WC5P and N4EYZ like this.
  4. N4EYZ

I've spoken with PayPal and have escalated this to a claim since he has my $400 and I'm sure I have a sno-ball's chance in hell of ever seeing what I thought I was buying. PayPal told me that they have placed a hold on his account and he can't access what he thinks is his money. Btw......doubt that this is his name but the email he uses is Victor.Oputa@yahoo.com. They have given me assurances that I'll get my money back. I hope they're right. I told PayPal that I've got documentation to back up the claim that this "Oputa" is a con, thief and various 4 letter words + a few letters where appropriate.

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that actually is his name. Read this:
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/scammer-posing-as-w4alm.632850/#post-4847718

6. N4EYZ

Well God does indeed look after balding old farts and helps them keep their hard earned money! I received an email from PayPal indicating Mr Oputa has refunded my $400.00. PayPal has issued me a refund. It seems PayPal can bring considerable pressure to bear on unscrupulous lurkers on QRZ.