ad: KF7PMW-1

Anyone download this from msn?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W9JEF, Oct 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

The other day, out of the blue, a warning appeared on my screen that msn had received a message from my computer that there was a security threat. I called the supplied technical help number, and got the hard to understand Indian. Efforts to return to QRZ.com were futile--I had to shut down and turn it back on.

Here's what I got today. Anyone have experience with this?
    http://www.weblifeadvice.com/3?

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yep... that's a classic scam. You didn't give them your credit card number, did you?

The recurrent warning seems to indicate that you have picked up a bit of malware. If it were my computer, I'd de-Cookie, then run a thorough virus scan and Adaware before I used it again. What OS are you using?

W0BTU likes this.
  3. W5WAY

W5WAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously, Jim?

:rolleyes:

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is like the second oldest scam on the net...

W0BTU likes this.
  5. W5WAY

Your sense of humor eludes me at times, Jim.

6. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

It made the news:

slashdot.org/story/16/10/07/118244/fake-call-centers-in-india-scam-americans-of-millions

Ted, KX4OM

7. W9JEF

The first message (the one I had to reboot to get rid of) listed as compromised:
    my cc number, stored photos--and facebook account (which I don't have). Called
    the number, and the purported msn"technician" admitted he a located in India.
    I asked him to talk slowly and distinctly, like the VOA "Special English" broadcasts.
    When I hung up, the phone rang, and it was him, insisting that my computer was a
    threat to his network.

Yeah, I'll delete cookies, and run a scan. Thanks for the advice.
    I'm learning.
    :cool:

8. W5WAY

I'm sorry; I thought you were joking.

Little late for this, but never respond to one of those. Your info isn't really compromised like they said (except that now he has your phone#--expect lots of calls)--you just have a bug is all.
    The instant you see one of those popups, get off the internet (close your browser) and do all those things NSF mentioned above.

There are free security programs - Malwarebytes, Avast, AVG, and others. As a preventive measure, get one or three. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-5.html

If you're running Internet Explorer, I'd ditch it in favor of Firefox or something. If Firefox, set it to clear history and cookies upon closing (options > privacy settings). In security settings, enable: warn when sites try to install add-ons; block reported attack sites; block reported web forgeries.

The above is not all-inclusive, or some of it might be overdoing things (such as deleting history, shrug). I'm certainly no expert, but I don't get any of that type of scammy thing like you're talking about.

I'm still not sure you're not putting us on, but I don't see a computer in your shack, so who knows?. Just in case, I thought mentioning all the above was the right thing to do.

9. W9JEF

Thanks. I have Windows 10, and use Google Chrome.
    Tried using the computer in the shack, but keying made
    the cursor jump around. It's on my lap (in my easy chair).
    Owing to bad hearing, I don't hear the phone ring, unless
    I'm next to it. But I do see strange numbers on Caller I.D.
    --the familiar ones get called back.

W5WAY likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is part of Win 10 and is normal.

A good virus detector will flag Win 10 as a Virus.

KQ9J, NK2U and K5PHW like this.