Anyone Do FT8 On 1296?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KA3TJI, Feb 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I know there's an overabundance of lack of use when it comes to the 23cm band, but I'm curious if anyone is using it for FT8? I've put out a few calls with the IC-9700, but it is dead out there.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Curious: is there any SSB, CW, or even FM activity on 23cm where you are? I have a 9700 but have yet to bother with an antenna for 1296

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KA3TJI

So far I haven't talked to a soul on 1296. I'm in the Baltimore/Annapolis area and you would think it would be booming.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why would you expect it to be booming? 1296 is not exactly a band found on most radios. In fact, you have to go pretty far out of your way to even find a radio set up for 23cm. I would never guess 1296 to be a "booming band" much anywhere at all!!

Again, I have a 9700 but have yet to even attach an antenna for that band (my shack is under construction due to a recent fire anyway, so not an option). But in yakking with the Seattle area locals, it doesn't sound like there's much action here either.

Hopefully others with more "hands on knowledge" will chime in on this.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KA3TJI

I guess you are right. This is especially true on 6m as the band is included in just about every modern HF radio and nobody uses it. As for the 9700, there's so many of them out there now and I would have thought people would experiment, I am. I kinda wish Icom would have added 220 to the 9700 as well.

6. W7UUU

The biggest reasons are satellite compatibility and the fact that the 9700 is a "global radio" but the US / Region II is about the only place where 220 is a band option. Since the 9700 isn't "card based" like some older radios (allowing for choosing which bands), 1296 was likely chosen to be a greater fit globally.

Just a guess on my part though

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KA3TJI

That would seem like the most logical reason. Wishful thinking on my part.

8. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-9700 got a bad reputation early on as being too drifty for reliable FT8 decodes, so some ops suggested running FT4 instead due to a shorter tx length. Idea was that with a shorter length it would have less time to drift. Downside was FT4 is less sensitive than FT8. What I did not see though was a sudden rush to FT4.

Some mods were recommended to the fan of the 9700, as well as practically requiring a 10MHz reference. A few board mods on the aftermarket supposedly improved on it.

At least in the Northwest so far, 1296 is ruled by SSB and infrequent CW. FM is used mainly for SOTA ops and a rare rover that wants to play the HT crowd.

For digital 1296 the majority of ops I've observed are using JT65B for EME. Perhaps it is the difficulty of running meteorscatter on the band that I just about see no other digital chatted up on VHF boards.

Regionally theres been disagreement over where to run terrestrial digital ops on the band, and every band from 6m on up. Where we sorta agreed to run digital on 2m here isn't what other regions seem to do. Some suggested 1296.174 for terrestrial digital ops, without regard to mode. That may be different than other regions.

Outside of a regional net or SOTA gig, 1296 by and large is still is an EME or contest-only band here in the USA :(

Hope that helps.

9. KA3TJI

Thanks! That does make lots of sense. I still haven't made any contacts yet, but keep trying. I'm hoping things will pick up in the future.