Anyone Bought Used from HRO?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5VTC, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds fantastic! Congratulations... let's hope you can help him finish the journey!

IMHO, it's probably best if he gets his ticket prior to college. Freshman year can be overwhelming for many -- not just in terms of classes, but the new environment, new friends, new activities, etc. I just saw this (again) with a few of Little Miss Field Day's friends, the last two years. Studying for his license can get lost in the mix.

Then again, some thrive and would have no problem handling it.

Good luck to him. Does he know what field he's going to be studying at school?

W5VTC likes this.
  2. W5VTC

W5VTC Ham Member QRZ Page

I will send along your well wishes. Last we talked, his current plans were to take his General during the Thanksgiving holiday. Last weekend we had a family gathering and I drilled him on some questions out of his study book. He's sharp and I have no doubt he'll ace it on his first try. Pre-law. He wants to be a corporate lawyer. Silly me, went mechanical engineering. No wonder I can't afford a KX3. ;)

N2EY likes this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be worse.

I know a retired USAF Master Sergeant who is now a lawyer. In between, he spent several years as the manager of a Radio Shack store. Now that is a misery (managing a RS, to be clear) your nephew will never know!

Good luck to him, and let us know when he passes his exam. If I can ever lend a hand, let me know.

4. W5VTC

W5VTC Ham Member QRZ Page

I will. Thank you for the kind words and I know James will appreciate the support.

5. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have many many QSO's at 750mw and the other OP's. just expressed surprise and never complained.

Ditto on digital modes, might as well throw out the radio and use the keyboard and computer like in chat rooms. But like you say,
    to each their own.

W5VTC likes this.
  6. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

What did it preform into?

N2EY likes this.
  7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's quite the opposite: "got no time for this crap" - plonk.

WU8Y likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

lol

Electronic parts maybe ?

K1FBI likes this.
  9. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I trust HRO to make any purchase right. Been using them for decades.

W5VTC likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good. My first rig was an Argonaut 509, because it was about the cheapest thing on the market and all I could afford. I confess I HATED that little rig. QRP is great for experienced operators wanting a challenge. It can just be extra frustration for newcomers, though it would tend to encourage use of CW or, today, digital modes. I think starting with the Argonaut did result in my long standing preference for CW over SSB though, as it was easy to make contacts on CW. Just making a contact on SSB was sometimes a challenge.

Now I feel very differently and would love that old Argonaut, or an FT-817nd or.... but then again I have a 100W rig now too and could get an amp if I wanted one. It's one thing to run QRP for the challenge when you don't have to. It's another to be stuck with nothing else, especially as a rank beginner.

K5WY, W5VTC and K1FBI like this.