ad: elecraft

Anybody using Central Electronics 100V or 200V transmitters?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NQ8J, Nov 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

As a teenager in the 90's I remember visiting a ham who had 100V and 200V transmitters. I was impressed by their looks, size, no tune finals and modulation monitor scope. I have never seen one since or talked to anyone on the air who was running one. Any CE fans out there?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fabulous Central Electronics website, by Nick Tusa:
    http://ce-multiphase.com/

I've got a pile of CE gear including a 20b transmitter. The story of how a young man founded Central Electronics and developed SSB phasing techniques and innovative gear is fascinating. [edited]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    NQ8J likes this.
  3. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool. I'll check that out.

I love boat anchors. Problem right now is I do not have too much room to display/use them. Probably should start shopping for a bigger house. ;)

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

Found the obit for the guy (K8EGU) who had them. There is a picture of a much younger man with a 100V or 200V behind him. I'm guessing he may have owned them since they were new.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They were seriously expensive! 200V was $795 in 1961...that's about equivalent to $6,900.00 today.:p

Your friend must have been wealthy or had a really serious interest in amateur radio.

N2EY likes this.
  6. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd say both. I only met him once, but he had a very nice house and well manicured garden. When I told my mother where I went, she said that his house and property had recently been featured in the area "Parade of Homes".

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 100V....marvelous rig. I used it regularly for a couple of decades...now I just fire it up once in a while to keep the capacitors happy and watch the CRT. But still transmits beautifully

NQ8J likes this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

See my 100v on my qrz page.

NQ8J likes this.
  9. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice! We have some things in common (sort of ;)), I used to have (regretfully no longer) a NC-109, I currently have a TR-3 and TR-4C, and addition to wanting a CE transmitter, I have also been wanting a Viking Ranger. The CE and Ranger would make a nice HQ-129X (which I have) sandwich! :)

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They're probably all older than you are (the sandwich ingredients), and the 129X is older than I am!

I once had a very large hamshack back in NJ...a 16' x 18' room with wall to wall benches and shelves, 100% filled (wrapped around all walls except small openings for the door and a closet) with ham gear and test equipment of all vintages, including some old stuff and quite a lot of new stuff. All connected, all on line, all working. Separate stations for each band I used, actually, with a lot of chairs. It's pictured in a CQ magazine issue from 1984.

That was 1977-1984, just before I had kids.:p Then real life set in and I've been downsizing ever since.:(

But "maybe" in retirement if we move elsewhere I just might start setting something like that up again; I wouldn't do separate stations for each band anymore, but am fond of boat anchors. Never had a 100V or 200V but have owned Rangers and Valiants and DX100s and Apaches and Johnson Thunderbolts and NC-300s and 75A-2s and all sorts of stuff for AM.

I "was there" when SSB was overtaking AM on the phone bands (mid-60s) and there were AM v. SSB wars on the bands, which was pretty funny. Once SSB really took over, I figured AM was never, ever coming back and sold everything I had for AM before it became valueless.

I had no idea AM would make a pretty thriving comeback many years later, and everything I sold is worth much more today than it was in 1970.:p

NQ8J likes this.