Anybody used the SDRplay RSP2pro yet?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK4NSF, Nov 1, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

While looking for a receiver for an EME experiment, one of my friends recommend that I look into SDRplay radio rather than using a conventional receiver / computer set-up. My first reaction was "pffft!.... I need a REAL radio for this...." BUT then after looking into the newest SDRplay receivers, I'm not so sure they aren't "real radios". They actually look quite impressive on their website.

So.... has anybody here actually used one? If so, how does it work for you? A quick appraisal would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dave
    KK4NSF

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Your multiple threads on SDRplay make things confusing.

Maybe it is just me. A link to your other one(s) may be useful. ;)

Have Fun.

3. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two RSP2's connected to a Leo Bodnar GPS-DO for 1 hz accuracy. I use them mostly to monitor HF wspr and ft-8 frequencies and they work very well for that purpose. I have one connected to the same antenna as my Icom 7300 and the wspr signal reports are exactly the same on both so sensitivity seems to be the same.

I currently prefer the SDR Console software tho' I have used the SDR Uno software that was specifically written for the RSP's. I have found the SDR Console software to be more user friendly and because it uses the computer video card GPU to take some of the processing load it makes it easier to monitor multiple rx frequencies simultaneously.

The only complaint I have heard is that these radios don't have the dynamic range of some of the more expensive sdr's, but I have never had any problems and I suspect unless you are surrounded by kilowatt transmitters it won't be an issue..

If you have any specific questions I will be happy to help if I can.

regards, Roy

4. KK4NSF

Roy.... thanks. That helps a lot.
    I do have one question: do you have any problems with the radio picking up noise from the computer?

5. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not that I can tell. I do have the USB cable wrapped around a FT240-43 toroid just because I could, hi. Alternatively you could buy a cable with integral ferrite chokes.

As far as any other noises, they are all picked up by the antennas, just as they would be by any other radio.

I would say that the RSP's are currently still the best bang for the buck, especially since more expensive sdr's seem to be only marginally better in specific areas.

regards, Roy

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

Any receiver will hear frequencies that the computer uses internally.

No way to prevent the signals from being there unless the computer is off.

But those frequencies can be nulled using software during a calibration.

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. KK4NSF

thanks, Gentlemen. I'm going to order one this afternoon. Just in case, I'm getting the "pro" version in the metal case. That way I can ground it.... which may help.

8. KK4NSF

just FYI.... I've opened a support ticket to get an SDR Radio forum here at QRZ. If they agree, we'll have our own place, instead of being scattered all over the forums.

9. KA9JLM

That would be cool.

Have Fun.

10. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an SDR RSP2. Let me start by saying I'm not a big computer guy, but not lost either. I found that the RP2 needed allot more tweaking and computing power than I was willing to deal with right now. It's not a Flex or Apache. I do have to say the help from the builder is great. My specific issues were with overload and not having the time or interest right now.