Anybody up for on Halloween Cemeteries on The Air (COTA)?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB4JHS, Sep 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

On a dark moonless night a man was walking home from the neighborhood bar after closing time. He decided to take a shortcut through a cemetery to avoid an extra 4 block walk to go around. In his state of semi-drunkenness he fell into an open grave that was prepared for a funeral the following day.

He struggled to climb out but he was unable to find a solid hand hold in the loose sand piled around the hole. He yelled for help until he was horse before he finally decided it was hopeless. He sat in a corner of the grave and rested his head on his knees to wait until someone showed up in the morning.

He was suddenly awakened by a thud and the sound of someone or something struggling in the other end of the grave. The man was yelling for help and struggling in the same manner he was earlier. He recognized the voice of his neighbor, Charley who he had seen at the bar that evening.

He allowed Charley to amuse him for a few minutes before he decided to speak up and try to calm him down. In his his raspy croaking voice he said, "You'll never get out of here Charley." . . . But Charley did.

2E0CIT and W4NNF like this.
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Save money by not buying candy:

*knock knock*
    Open door.
    Kids: "Trick or Treat!"
    You: "Trick!"
    Close door.

Spooky Twilight Zone episode to put on your watch list for the day: The Grave. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734643/

KA2BLG likes this.
  3. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we're all missing something important: on Halloween, I'm not going to operate anywhere, except possibly my porch, because I'm handing out candy to trick-or-treaters.

If you want a Halloween event, it's got to be compatible with the things we actually do on Halloween. Otherwise the only people interested in doing it will be doing something else.

4. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This has to be the worst idea I've ever seen in these forums.

N2UHC and K7WFM like this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This has got to be a joke/troll. If someone's really contemplaing this, well, go ahead and report back on All Saints Day...but... Just about the silliest idea I've heard in a while. Good way to end up in the clutches of Officer Friendly on Halloween.

6. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the idea of a Halloween QSO event, though, although it has to be something entirely different to be practical. As I said earlier, anyone interested in participating would probably be at home dealing with trick-or-treaters, and operating from a cemetery is a bad idea for a bunch of reasons.

Some ideas:
    • Just a regular QSO party except you get points for working anyone in a Boris Karloff/Monster Mash voice, hamming it up about your laboratory/crypt.

• Trick-or-treaters on the air (TOTOTA), where you must report the number of trick-or-treaters you served so far. Your goal as an operator is to accumulate the largest total from other operators.

• Ghostly traffic passing nets: when the boundary between this world and the next is thin and gossamer, pass hokey messages from the great beyond. "I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK. 73" We could pick some target---an organizer, perhaps---to receive all the messages.

7. M0IND

M0IND Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll go one better: Morgues and funeral homes on the air.

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gives a new meaning to the bands being dead. :)

9. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

How about dead bodies on the air??? Worked all corpses ???

10. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

I was walking through a graveyard one night....I heard Chip ...Chip..chip....I looked up, startled, and saw an old man, chisel in hand chipping away at a headstone.......I said " what are you doing at this time of night ".....He replied " they spelt my @@*** name wrong!

M0IND, WS4JM, N2UHC and 1 other person like this.