Anybody up for on Halloween Cemeteries on The Air (COTA)?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB4JHS, Sep 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Done. I once set up a portable QRP operating event at the spot where the state lines of Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma connect.

http://www.4sqrp.com/archive/3state04/3state04.htm

Man, that was all the way back in 2004? I need to organize another trip down there soon.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. N2UHC

And I'll probably be taking my kids around trick-or-treating. They're still just young enough to have fun doing that, but won't be for much longer.

K2CAJ likes this.
  3. N2UHC

You could use the heat from the crematorium to generate electricity for your radios...

4. N7AHE

N7AHE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm COTA. Hey I could use November 7 All Hallows Eve for my callsign...

NL7W and N3RF like this.
  5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

"The keyer is a little stiff..."

G4OBB and K2CAJ like this.
  6. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My office is pretty much in the middle of cemetery, and a columbarium (a wall with niches for ashes) makes up two of the exterior walls of my office. This isn't quite as weird as it sounds though, I work at a 200+ year-old Cathedral.

So I could operate from my office for a double-COTA: Cemeteries (technically, ours is called a 'Church Yard') on the Air, and Cathedrals on the Air.:)

I cannot speak for other cemeteries, but ours is quite flexible; it all depends on what is going on. If an actual internment service is in progress, that is one thing; but we have all manner of celebratory events in and directly adjacent to the cemetery with no complaints. One such is the day after Halloween, All Saints Day (or All-Hallows Day). There is a very purposeful party in the cemetery.:)

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Go for it.

Just make sure you fire up that Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

K2CAJ likes this.
  8. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Fun ideas by all! I think I’ll operate portable from the front yard and try to inspire some kids as we give out candy. I have a Xiegu G90 and a vertical and operate 75meter phone.

Any suggestions for my call sign suffix phonetics “JHS” for Halloween portable would be appreciated!

Best 73’s to all!

John
    WB4JHS
    “Orlando…the town made for cars not people as well as the retention pond capital of the Americas” image.jpg

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

One time they decided to exhume the body of Johann Sebastian Back. When they opened the casket, they found this shriveled up looking old man, frantically erasing sheets of music
    "Are you the great J.S. Bach?" they asked
    "Yes I am," he replied
    "Why are you erasing all those sheets of music?"
    "I'm just decomposing."

N2UHC, KT4PH, NL7W and 3 others like this.
  10. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny you should mention it: you should be able to find some pictures of grave markers with JHS written on them, since IHS/JHS is a classical abbreviation for Jesus (H being the Greek eta).

Come to think of it, it's a good thing we discouraged operating from a cemetery. Imagine if you decided to do so, and then in the middle of the night you suddenly saw JHS in big letters on a tomb as you tried to leave.