Anybody tried the COMPACtenna?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WB8NXR, May 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have I read any of it's documentation? As a matter of fact, yes. I am also familiar with a lot of 'theory' behind things. Perpetual motion just as an example.
    Hey! You got the capitalization of the title right. I'm proud of you.

2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

So why the comparison to a short, rubberduckish antenna?

3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That makes me think of a typical 'rubberduck' on 2 meters and below.

K0UO likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, I just tried one in comparisons to a Scorpion screwdriver on my RV mobile.

The results
    It's down about 12 DB on 40 meter
    So I'm not going to waste my time on the other bands.

Using professional equipment in the far field. And I did test in both the Electric and the magnetic H fields.

If anyone wants this piece of junk I have it for sale. I don't think they will take it back in an open Package!!

20190418_121047.jpg

5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One more post and this thread is ended for me...
    Why would you think that a shortened antenna (of whatever electrical length, and shortened by 50%) will produce the same signal, or hear the same signals as a full sized antenna of the same electrical length? I wish that were possible, But it's not. (And I have bought my share of 'miracle' antennas.)
    There are a lot of good reasons for shortening an antenna. They deal mainly with being unable to 'fit' a full sized antenna into the area you have, or because it's going to be used mobile, or it'd be "un-sightly". (Luckily, that last reason isn't one I worry about too much (yet). If a 'significant-other' can put up with me, some stupid wire shouldn't be a problem, right? I predate my neighbors and if they don't like it they shouldn't have moved here. So there! I'm really not that much of a S*** H***... but I can be!)

6. KC1DR

KC1DR Subscriber QRZ Page

You certainly proved that with your last sentence.

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not yet I haven't, but you're pushing it.