Anybody tried the COMPACtenna?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WB8NXR, May 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB8NXR

WB8NXR Ham Member QRZ Page

The people who said they own one comment that it actually works quite well. It's main attraction to me is it's only 7.5" tall and covers 2 meters and 440. With a 12.5' tall motorhome and most bridges being 14' clearance I can't really have too much sticking up over the roof line. I'm thinking about mounting it on top of the RV ladder on the back.

Thanks,

Ray

K0UO likes this.
  2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I know a ham trying one out. So far so good. I plan on trying one on the inside of a truck topper.

3. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ray,

With as wide as this Compactenna is, I would expect a hole to be ripped in the roof if you ever did bump into something (tree limb brushing against the vehicle top even), whereas a Motorola-style 6" whip (for 440) or 19" whip (2m) will just bend over ...

4. WB8NXR

WB8NXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the responses, folks. Unless I hit something while backing in, the antenna will be no higher than the roof-mounted air conditioners. The docs say this one works best with the metal vertically below it so a cowl mount on a car actually works better than a center-of-the-roof mount. That's why I'm hoping it will be ideal for sticking it at the top of the rear-mounted ladder.

I'm sure a 2M whip could work better but the thought of my wife hearing it smack against a bridge at 60 MPH is not a pleasant thought, especially it it hits "just right" and gets stuck in a joint or other separation on the bridge.

Ray

5. K7VXN

K7VXN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one (2M/1.25M/70cm triband version) and use it 95% of the time: I need to park in my garage. I also have the Comet SBB-224NMO which I like when I travel far way from home. I can't tell any difference in performance yet. My transceiver is an Anytone AT-5888UV iii which covers standard 2M/70cm as well as the 220MHz band.

Attached Files:

6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're satisfied with the performance of a very short antenna (AKA: rubberduck) then have at it!

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Factors abound in any situation. If you are satisfied with 1/4 160m vertical instead of having multiple stacked folded dipoles that are 1500 feet tall, you are compromising.:)

AI7PM likes this.
  8. K7VXN

I can't tell any difference in performance thus far between the 7.5" Compactenna and the three foot SBB-224NMO whip. If at some point I do, I keep the 3ft antenna in a PVC pipe in my trunk so can change it out in about a minute. I suppose I could pull out my antenna analyzer sometime and compare both, but that would not change the form factor being a key deciding variable in my real world use case.

9. K7VXN

Exactly so: everything is some kind of compromise.

10. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you read any of the documentation on the antenna, or just spouting without knowing the theory behind it? It also works best NOT in the middle of a ground plane. Recommended reading, Sir.

KC1DR likes this.