Anybody tried the COMPACtenna?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WB8NXR, May 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB8NXR

WB8NXR Ham Member QRZ Page

The people who said they own one comment that it actually works quite well. It's main attraction to me is it's only 7.5" tall and covers 2 meters and 440. With a 12.5' tall motorhome and most bridges being 14' clearance I can't really have too much sticking up over the roof line. I'm thinking about mounting it on top of the RV ladder on the back.

Thanks,

Ray

2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I know a ham trying one out. So far so good. I plan on trying one on the inside of a truck topper.

3. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ray,

With as wide as this Compactenna is, I would expect a hole to be ripped in the roof if you ever did bump into something (tree limb brushing against the vehicle top even), whereas a Motorola-style 6" whip (for 440) or 19" whip (2m) will just bend over ...

4. WB8NXR

WB8NXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the responses, folks. Unless I hit something while backing in, the antenna will be no higher than the roof-mounted air conditioners. The docs say this one works best with the metal vertically below it so a cowl mount on a car actually works better than a center-of-the-roof mount. That's why I'm hoping it will be ideal for sticking it at the top of the rear-mounted ladder.

I'm sure a 2M whip could work better but the thought of my wife hearing it smack against a bridge at 60 MPH is not a pleasant thought, especially it it hits "just right" and gets stuck in a joint or other separation on the bridge.

Ray