Anybody recognize this solder roll?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KJ6ZOL, Feb 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Great catch on the ZIP Code. My roll is in my shop out at our farm. I'll have to see if mine has a ZIP Code on it. But, mine certainly could have been from sometime in the 70s.

It is still very good solder for what most of hams repair and build.

2. W4KJG

I was fortunate to gather a lifetime supply of high quality rosin core tin/lead about 6-7 years before I retired. During that time I changed jobs. The company I left was just finishing converting to RoHS compliance. The new company I moved to was just starting to convert to RoHS compliance. In each case they would offer partially used rolls of the tin/lead solder, every several weeks, for employees to take for personal use.

I think I ended up with about 5 lbs., of good solder. I may die crazy from sniffing lead since I was about 7 years old, but I'll die happy.

Long live tin/lead solder.

3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had these guys in the shack for longer than I can remember

upload_2019-2-21_22-20-36.png

W1BR likes this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Keeping it in sealed bags minimizes oxidation, making it last longer.

5. W4KJG

I still periodically use some acid core solder that was my dad's from our farm. It is probably from the 1940s. I use it when brazing, oxy/acetylene, or even MIG might not be right or too hot, like for sweating joints.

What effect does oxidation have on solder?

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It contaminates the solder connection/joint. Flux removes it... to a point.

7. KX4NJ

KX4NJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point with removing solder oxidation with flux, most people don't. It really helps to put some liquid or paste flux on a small rag, then use the rag to clean older solder coming off the roll before soldering anything up. It makes for easier soldering and better looking joints. I keep the rag in a ziplock on the bench. I can't speak to the new solders, all I have is from decades ago. Nothing but lead/tin.

Another note: About sniffing lead fumes. Lead needs to get to about 1200 degrees to boil off fumes. I cast bullets in my other hobby and have to watch temps pretty closely. A typical soldering iron isn't going to get near that temperature, but one of those Weller pistol-grips will.

8. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was under an impression the "rosin" and "acid" solders are different.
    Rosin for electrical work and acid for plumbing.
    Rosin in non corrosive , but acid is - which in plumbing does
    not matter (much).

"ERSIN" seems to be band name.

I remember "salmiak" , white solid stuff - not candy by any means, which may also be brand name , but not used in USA.
    We did not have "rosin core " solder and used plain rosin used to put on violin's bow.
    Did I date myself?

73 Shirley

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Solder does age. The metal oxidizes and the flux degrades over time. The additional oxidation puts more load on the degraded flux so the result is poorer than when new.

I tossed a couple of rolls of old solder rosin core that were not behaving well and got some new production. Big improvement.

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very different. Acid core should NEVER be used for electrical work!

Sal Ammoniac

----

btw, ZIP codes were introduced in 1963. So that solder could be older than 1970

K7KBN likes this.